Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 10-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Default General Halo tips and tricks

The other thread is a bit lengthy at this point, so I thought perhaps we could start a thread with just tips and tricks for the game.

Specifically, I'd love to get some insights on what to concentrate on as a new player. I'm probably not the only person who just picked up the game without really playing the other two that much. So I'd love to get some thoughts on what I should be concentrating on to improve my game, manage my weapons, defend myself, etc.

For example, I basically don't even use the equipment right now. Once in a while I'll remember I have a shield, and will drop it when needed, but the other stuff I never even use.

Also, how about weapons? I tend to stick with the battle rifle and carbine when I can get them, since I can zoom in and aim from a little farther away.

Good strategies to help us noobs improve would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: General Halo tips and tricks

Nolan, learning to use the BR and Carbine will help a lot. Those shots do a lot of damage and you can "be in" a fight even when your not, know what I mean?

The needler is also a powerful weapon, and it has a good range. Try using that if you can.

Invariably you will get better with the sniper rifle and shotgun since shotty sniper gets selected ALL THE FREAKING TIME. You don't need to be good with the sniper rifle to get by though, but you do need to know that you have to be close to get one shot shutgun kills. Hide around a corner and wait for someone to run by. I usually aim right below the neck.

USE YOUR GRENADES LIBERALLY. They are everywhere so utilize them as much as possible. Try out the sticky's as well.

Rockets are a great way to kill people(obviously) and the brute shot is pretty powerful as well.

Even the AR is a good weapon, but with all weapons remember to lead your man as you shoot at him!!!!!!1

Finally, in TS stick with your teammates. Its pretty easy to win a 50/50, but damn hard to take one of the other team out when you get double teamed. Cover your boys and help them out when they are in a firefight. When you see their cursor flash, help em out!

This is where the BR and Carbine are helpful.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. The items are OK, but I have noticed at higher levels people use them pretty well, which is annoying. Especially the regenerator.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM

If you've never really played FPS games before, and want to work on your raw killing skills, you should probably play Lone Wolf. It will put you in lots of tough situations and force you to get competent at killing and survival. But team games are where the real strategy is at and will force you to think on top of improving your instinctual-type skills. Whatever you play, you should probably make it ranked.

The #1 thing to concentrate on for any player is awareness. You can only be so good at handling the weapons that the game inevitably comes down to awareness at mid-higher levels. I like to learn weapon placement, map-layout, and other little tricks as I go along. If you're 100% completely lost, try running around an empty map and looking around or, better yet, following around a teammate - that way you can learn the map and other players' strategies at the same time.

Once you've got the general flow of games down and know the map a little bit, you should start thinking "what should I be doing right now?" Each player is a part of an organism, the team, and you should, on top of whatever's going on on your screen, also have another train of thought running through your mind illustrating each whole organism. You want to know where everyone on your team is, where everyone on the other team is, what each is doing, and then where you best fit in at that time.

Awareness is key and it comes through tons of play. Play, think, and watch what everyone is doing. If you can communicate while you do that, that's a whole other skill that tons of players lack. Simple stuff like "there's a guy at <general location>" is always good. Throughout a game there should rarely be total silence.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM

On the theme of awareness, get used to keeping on eye on the radar at all times. Ive played enough now to realize that a lot of people do a terrible job of this. I shouldnt be able to just run up behind people and kill them as much as I do. Otherwise, some pretty good advice so far in this thread. You'll find yourself doing a lot better once you learn the map layouts. As far as items go, I've really just gotten to the point where I use them on a consistent basis. It really isnt hurting you a whole lot to not really use them that much at this point.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I'm tired right now. Like really tired. But, I could give some tips laters. I dunno the best advice I can give is playing with me? lol. Can't coach through words. Only actions. IMHO.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM

One thing that really helped me is that you should not aim with the right analog. Get your cross hair situated with the right analog and then strafe with your target. This feels alot different than circle strafing with the mouse like you would do in a PC FPS.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 PM

know the maps. memorize the maps. know the quickest path to the shotgun/rockets/sword. know where the invisibility and overshield is.

when you catch someone with the sword or gravity hammer from the front, start shooting and backing up. You will be able to kill them and they keep running toward you even if you are too far away to attack.

Agree with the liberal use of grenades. Have frags ready when there is no one on your radar, plasma when you are ready for battle. Get good at sticking your enemies. Many times it will be two people charging at each other with an assault rifle and then meleeing. use your sticky grenade here and try to get out of the way.

maulers are deadly.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that really helped me is that you should not aim with the right analog. Get your cross hair situated with the right analog and then strafe with your target. This feels alot different than circle strafing with the mouse like you would do in a PC FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a pretty good one actually. I still circle strafe, old habits are hard to break I guess. Also, remember to melee when you close with someone. This is something I see a lot of new players struggle with, because the campaign doesnt really lend itself to that particular tactic very much. But meleeing effectively is a very big part of multiplayer.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM

circle strafe, wtf?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM

I think using grenades well is the number one thing new players should try to get good at. A well-placed frag can:
- ensure that you take your opponent with you when you know you're on the losing end of a fight
- guarantee an easy kill before a fight starts by knocking an enemy down to the point where one or two BR shots = dead
- finish off an opponent who ducks around a corner after taking damage to regenerate shields

Plasmas also have their use. I played Halo 2 for a long time and I still don't really know

Has anyone found any use whatsoever for spike grenades? I've found them completely useless except for trying to stick people with.

Also, I look at the radar almost as much as I look at the rest of my screen. Knowing where opponents might be around you is SO SO important because if someone gets the drop on you, you're dead if you don't get to cover first, and if you get the drop on someone, you should be able to kill them easily. Putting yourself in situations where you have the advantage in these spots will help out a ton.