Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: $20,000 Cashiers Check, made out to me...what should I do with it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SP500 down 5-6% in a week. Avg PE is at the lowest point in more than a decade. I think I might just buy index funds with it, whole market seems pretty cheap right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

just keep one thing in mind. Price looks at future earnings. Earnings (reported) are based on past Qs.

we are in a prolonged late cycle environment. the next phase of that cycle is higher global rates and lower growth. low growth is bad for equities as are higher rates. the low P/E may be accurately reflecting the coming environment. in fact, it may be underestimating the degree to which rates may rise if growth (reported) firms further and inflation (due to capacity constrainsts & commodity price flow throughs) pushes higher. consumption may also pare back further hampering growth without a rise in rates (deteriorating future earnings).

hope this helps your thought process.
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't really have an intelligent reply to make to that. it all makes sense if we were in an economics class...but to paraphrase WB:

when you see a deal, that is not the time to pull out something called the Fundamental Market Equilibrium Hyperactivity Model, it is the time to act!

stocks are cheap now, plz to be telling me which ones to buy!

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think stocks are cheap: S&P GOGOGO!

i dont' know from individual stocks. the "market" should respond if you think it is cheap!

Barron
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM

I have no opinion on AvivaSimplexes recommendation, other than it sounds like it exactly meets OP's requirements. But I wanted to point out that it was written up about a year ago on ValueInvestorsClub.com, and was very highly rated (anything over 5 on that site is highly rated, they are very picky). Of course this was at lower prices and the author has since taken profits.

If anyone is interested, there the writeup led to a lengthy discussion as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no opinion on AvivaSimplexes recommendation, other than it sounds like it exactly meets OP's requirements. But I wanted to point out that it was written up about a year ago on ValueInvestorsClub.com, and was very highly rated (anything over 5 on that site is highly rated, they are very picky). Of course this was at lower prices and the author has since taken profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link doesn't work for me. Would I be correct to assume that this link only works for valueinvestors.com members, and is not, in fact, a broken link?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 PM

buy up diamonds or real estate in zimbabwe
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM

http://www.newratings.com/analyst_ne...or_alerts.html
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-31-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link doesn't work for me. Would I be correct to assume that this link only works for valueinvestors.com members, and is not, in fact, a broken link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the link. VIC allows guest access with a 45 or 90 day delay, and I should have used a link from the guest portion of the site. This should work.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:47 PM

BQE closed at 4.50 today, up 19%!
Still has room to run, IMO.

Disclosure: I'll probably start lightening up a little between 5-6, just because it's become such a large portion of my portfolio.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy up diamonds or real estate in zimbabwe

[/ QUOTE ]

ftw

although i just found a website that sells people, actual people. they dont provide any details, just a phone number. but they are very clear it isn't a joke and you can have actual human beings delivered to you. thinking about calling...

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I want a link to this site. Second of all, what did you end up doing with the check blue.