Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Mormons In Group One

[ QUOTE ]
Since they baptize long dead Jewish people and others, I would think it implies that they realize that their beliefs are not so self evident that non believer's must be undeserving people with the type of ulterior motives that Not Ready ascribes to unbelievers. (Obviously I am not talking about the exact same type of unbelief or ulterior motives since there are two different religions involved. But you get the idea.)

So voting for Romney isn't as bad as Lestat makes it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, they don't believe in hell. That puts them above all other Christian factions IMO. But it's still not saying much.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Just A Reminder About Religious People

[ QUOTE ]
If the majority of theists are coming to their beliefs through faith and personal revelation, than picking on them for being illogical is completely misguided, akin to saying that a fish is defective because its gills don't work on dry land.

If someone says that he's a believer because he feels the touch of god, his belief is not logically falsifiable. So, you know, stop trying to falsify it. More importantly, IMO, don't call him a moron because he's using a different (yet equally valid) epistemology.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I believe that 2+2=6 because of a personal revelation, that doesn't make it true. My belief is still subject to rational scrutiny, and people should hardly say "well, we have to respect his belief that 2+2=6."

Further, if the beliefs people come to using a certain epistemology are varied and mutually exclusive, then that epistemology is less valid. In fact, we know that this method is invalid in the majority of cases due to that exclusivity. It's possible that in some tiny subset of cases the method is valid, but due to its terrible track record it's still nothing more than a lucky guess.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once every few months I have to repost this because people keep on staring threads without making mention of it.

Their are two types of "believers". Those who believe the Packers would win today because they just "know it in their hearts" (and also have some good, but what they realize are non convincing reasons), and those who cannot believe that any non biased fan could possibly think the Cowboys should be favored.

Most religious people are the first type. The ones who are members of a religion that allow such an admission usually admit it. Members of other religions are less apt to. But even most of them are deep down the first type. At least I think so. God help us if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, this is only relevant in some cases. (Also, I agree with tame that dichotomies almost always indicate sloppy logic.)

When a theist acts on a set of beliefs, it's generally acceptable to assume that he really does hold those beliefs. Even if he only hopes the beliefs are true, arguments based on those beliefs still tend to apply. Particularly when one of the beliefs is that those who disagree will be tortured forever. In this case, the former group of theists "know in their hearts," or at least hope fervently, that those who think differently deserve to suffer the most extreme torments imaginable.

This is a shocking and ugly belief. And they don't get a pass on it because they only pay lip service, either.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: "the standard model of the world" is a phrase i just made up meaning: the model of the world where one reality exists, time and space exist, and consciousness is either separate from the material world, or is created by the material world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please make a post that is true in all respects to the concept that the 'standard model' as you present it is false.

luckyme
Old 11-30-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya see, Brett Favre is is like an Old Christianity and and ah Tony Romo is like a new Judaism. And well Muslim is like you know a Brett Favre from a parellel world. Whos' the best quaterback in the league. Some even think it's Tom Brady, and he's like your hindi quaterback. And then of course there's all these dead quaterbacks that don't play the game anymore. Astrology(Bart Starr), Joe Montana(Greek Mythology), and and Terry Bradshaw.

Now when you have these quaterbacks playing each other the team with the most points and the end of the game is gonna win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is filled to the brim with awesome.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since they baptize long dead Jewish people and others,

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this supposed to mean? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]A thing that makes religion irrational is what happens to all the people who died before God's true word was spoken. For awhile there was a book in the bible that had Jesus going to preach in hell for the 3 days before he was resurected. Where we are to assume people like Moses and Plato have been burning all along. I believe that gospel is now apocryphal. But there is mention of the journey to hell in other gospels.

The Mormons have a very large geneology database that contains the names of all those known to have lived and died since records were keept, and pray for them. Every week in a special ceremonies Mormons are giving the list of names to pray for. The prayer is suppose to baptize the dead.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since they baptize long dead Jewish people and others,

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this supposed to mean? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]A thing that makes religion irrational is what happens to all the people who died before God's true word was spoken. For awhile there was a book in the bible that had Jesus going to preach in hell for the 3 days before he was resurected. Where we are to assume people like Moses and Plato have been burning all along. I believe that gospel is now apocryphal. But there is mention of the journey to hell in other gospels.

The Mormons have a very large geneology database that contains the names of all those known to have lived and died since records were keept, and pray for them. Every week in a special ceremonies Mormons are giving the list of names to pray for. The prayer is suppose to baptize the dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the definition of Baptize is to immerse in water. Mormons are not Christians, so please do not lump them in with us. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Anyone who believes in Jesus as Christ is a Christian (according to many dictionary definitions). Although if I was a Mormon I can't see myself wanting to be lumped with Brad1970.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who believes in Jesus as Christ is a Christian (according to many dictionary definitions). Although if I was a Mormon I can't see myself wanting to be lumped with Brad1970.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno why brad feels the need to make posts like that, In 3rd grade they would make him look intelligent/cool. On SMP? Quite the opposite.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno why brad feels the need to make posts like that, In 3rd grade they would make him look intelligent/cool. On SMP? Quite the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's the truth. When did this thread majestically change into one about Mormons anyway?