Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 10-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Judging your hand strength on different boards

while this seems easy in nl holdem because of the limited amount of starting hands and calculations necessary, in omaha i think it is more difficult.
are there any easy ways or helps to determine the quality distribution of our opponents hand on the flop/turn/river?
what i am interested in is the ratio of hands that didnt hit at all, have bad straight draws, good straight draws, (top)two pair, sets, combo draws, one pair.... be able to merge the opponents preflop range with the board texture.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Judging your hand strength on different boards

[ QUOTE ]
while this seems easy in nl holdem because of the limited amount of starting hands and calculations necessary, in omaha i think it is more difficult.
are there any easy ways or helps to determine the quality distribution of our opponents hand on the flop/turn/river?
what i am interested in is the ratio of hands that didnt hit at all, have bad straight draws, good straight draws, (top)two pair, sets, combo draws, one pair.... be able to merge the opponents preflop range with the board texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

too expensive, i need to know it before i bet
Old 10-20-2007, 07:21 PM

This is the value of position. You see how other players react to a flop. If you are playing a hand from the blinds, you can check the flop almost every time and give yourself position on the other players.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM

semi related; tight players seem to bet about 15% of flops while a large group bet about 30% and some very aggresive players like 50%+ of the flops they see. Any thought to what this may mean? would a bet from the tight player mean 2 pair or better made hand or a strong draw while 30% would be any pair or better and any draw?

Chris
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM

Interpreting flop betting without the context of preflop raising and position is difficult. That said, a difference between the tighter players and the others is probably that tighter players are much less likely to bet out their flush draws on the flop.

Ironically, I think that the bet/call/fold lines for draws can be mixed. Namely, superstrong draws (14+ nut outs) are usually bet. Medium draws (9-13 nut outs) are calls and weak draws (8 outs or less hu) are bet/fold (I don't mean that they should always be bet, but that calling with weak draws is a very risky proposition).
Old 10-20-2007, 08:26 PM

tight players usually bet when they hit the flop hard, like 2 pair+ or a good draw. agressive players bet when they hit something or they were the preflop agressor and the board is good for a continuation bet (usually against 1 or maximal 2 players only) or on the flop everybody checked and now the turn is a rag or pairs a card.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting will tell you everything, even if you don't like this answer. Players call raises more liberally in PLO than in NLHE in my experience and there are so many more combinations that it is nearly impossible to put a caller on a narrow range of hands.

People usually play more honestly postflop and will only bet with a decent hand. Those who are bet frequently are more difficult to put on a hand.

The only way to know the strength of someone's hand is to observe his betting patterns. That is why you want to play in position and you usually not get involved if you don't have a good hand, draw or read. Bad players lose the most money by ignoring signs of strength and calling down with a bad two pair, 3rd nut flush draw on a paired board, etc.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM

fine, let us assume we have an opponent who raised preflop and will now bet any flop if we check to him. i really wanna know how good his hand is on average and it is not that easy to imagine. someones gotta know about that but i can see it s kind of a difficult question to answer in general.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fine, let us assume we have an opponent who raised preflop and will now bet any flop if we check to him. i really wanna know how good his hand is on average and it is not that easy to imagine. someones gotta know about that but i can see it s kind of a difficult question to answer in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it depends on the player; if villain is LAG then is difficult to know; id be c/r top two and better; prolly k high flush draws and ace flush draw; and obvious pair/combo draws

Against a tight player you have to consider the texture of the board; are they likely to have hit a 5 6 8 board? etc etc

Its usefull to have a 'plan for your hand'; what are you willing to push OOP against x opponent; if so will you lead out or c/r?

Focus on your own cards when out of position; its very difficult to define an 'average' hand a maniac is betting.