Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Default \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

NFL article

The writer postulates that antics and attitudes of hip-hop culture blacks are ruining the strides that blacks have made over the last 40 years in the NFL.

He points to Larry Johnson and Chad Johnson's antics last week, as well as mentioning that two of the most successful franchises in recent years (the Colts and Pats) have the least number of blacks on the team.

Let's be clear, he's not saying race causes the attitude problem, but culture does. And most young black men these days are influenced by hip-hop culture.

what say you?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

Didn't read the article yet, will soon, but Whitlock doesn't [censored] around and is a very good/honest writer.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hispanic, white, whatever!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Random thoughts: Whitlock loves calling people "bojanglers." I agree with him that Chad Johnson (whose antics I usually enjoy) gets a free pass on a ton of bad-teammate stuff, and I agree that Larry Johnson is a selfish [censored]. I don't think of Hispanics as white and I don't think mainstream America does either.

Overall thoughts: I do not see any real explanation of how this is reflective of "hip-hop culture." Why is Chad Johnson more hip-hop than Vince Young or Adrian Peterson? I like a lot of stuff Whitlock does, but I wonder to what degree he's pandering to white America himself when he write articles with premises as shaky as this.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM

"Whitlock is clearly racist.... wait, what's that you're saying? He's black? Well [censored]..."

-NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson
Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Wake me up when Whitlock writes anything remotely interesting that doesn't bring up race in the first 2 paragraphs. He is a myopic hack.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be clear, he's not saying race causes the attitude problem, but culture does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped trying to make that distinction, because I get called "racist" every time I try. I'm accused of only liking the black people who "act white".

(Hell, Bill Cosby tried making the same point a few years back, and he got blistered for it.)

The topic is too explosive, so I just keep my mouth shut. Of course, if I was trying to sell newspapers, I'd have a reason to jump back into the fray.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hispanic, white, whatever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of? For a long time (and maybe still) many applications and forms would list the options as "hispanic white" and "non-hispanic white." Or maybe Caucasian instead of white, depending on the form.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Isn't Whitlock a notorious "race card" guy? I've never thought of him as pandering to white America. He once accused Jack Del Rio of keeping Girrard around as the backup for the sole purpose of taking pressure off of Leftwich in a white city.

Sometimes it does make me think when somebody brings up: "white guy gets a free pass for these antics but black guy doesn't". But yah, everyone loves Ocho Cinco for some reason, which I think shoots those theories down to an extent. I guess that's a good thing in a way.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Whitlock a notorious "race card" guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

He talks about race a lot. I hate the phrase "race card," but yes, he gets accused of this.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never thought of him as pandering to white America.

[/ QUOTE ]

He usually doesn't, and as you point out, it's often sort of the opposite. But he doesn't pull a lot of punches and a lot of people loved his stuff post-Imus ("Imus isn't the Real Bad Guy") and his NBA All-Star column within which he discussed the "black KKK."

This struck me as a really forced piece where he just decided to blast hip-hop with no real substance.