Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-16-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Michael Clayton

I thought Swinton's performance was the most remarkable part of this tremendous film. Truly one of the best supporting performances of the past decade. The scenes that cut between her rehearsing speeches and then the actual speeches were so good.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Swinton's performance was the most remarkable part of this tremendous film. Truly one of the best supporting performances of the past decade. The scenes that cut between her rehearsing speeches and then the actual speeches were so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was pretty remarkable.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 AM

after seeing the movie, one of the first things my girlfriend and I talked about was how perfect she was for that role.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but it is an excellent movie. I cant really think of anything I didnt like.

Only movie I've seen so far this year that is on the same level is Eastern Promises.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:02 PM

*spoiler heavy*

Saw this yesterday, and was pretty blown away. All the front line performances were really good - it's hard to pick between Pollack, Swinton, Clooney and Wilkinson. I really liked how the script made you sort of identity with Swinton as a striver who was in somewhat over her head and then flipped it on us.

The film probably resonated with me a fair amount because I practice at a civil defense firm, and while not on the same scale as whomever, Pollack, and thatguy, a lot of the details seemed pretty right on. I will say that the outside litigation team getting screwed by the in-house attorney hiding/destroying evidence is not far fetched at all - I've been tangentially involved in at least one instance of this and had/got to watch the outside counsel tapdance in front of a "deeply concerned" judge. But that digression aside Wilkenson's opening monologue verbalizes the deepest darkest thoughts of many an attorney I imagine - at least the vaguely self aware ones.

My main quibble was with the minor baddies. The big jowly guy is so obviously the Deus ex Villanus. And the "security" guys are about one step away from the Talking Killers in a Bond movie. I mean seriously, a car bomb?

But those are fairly minor quibbles, and in the end, got to give it at least 4.5/5.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:34 PM

I thought it was great but felt unsatisfied by the ending (the closing credits in the taxi, I liked a lot).

The poker scene, however brief, was much more realistic than they usually are in movies, and Rounders' writer Brian Koppelman is credited as "Player #2."

This is also the only movie I am aware of to feature two of Roseanne's sister's boyfriends (Clooney and Michael O'Keefe) in the same movie!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

Saw this today, liked it a lot. Wilkinson was remarkable, surely a more memorable performance than Arkin's Oscar-winning performance of last year.

My wife brought up something I would have missed. She kept whispering to me that Clooney wasn't wearing a coat in the cold. Finally, in the last scene, he puts a coat on as he leaves the building. Because he could finally feel something?

My favorite scenes were when Wilkinson sees the ad for the corporation on the big screen in Times Square and when Clooney talks to his son in the car.

Terrific entertainment, thoughtful and intelligent, despite the "banality of evil" part that was indeed cliched. Well worth seeing.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Gable-Redford-Clooney. Maybe the best comparison is Warren Beatty?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM

"Wilkinson is fantastic."

Definitely. A truly memorable performance.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when Clooney talks to his son in the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

My fave, loved it.