Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

It is hilarious how you guys eat up obvious troll attempts by Lebowski. He, himself, has started religious threads in the past. Further, he criticizes the absence of logical reasoning in all Christians, when his previous threads attempting to criticize Christianity were either utterly devoid of logic, or whatever logic he attempted to include was completely dismantled in the thread.

How are these kinds of posts/threads allowed to remain in SMP? Why are obvious trolls like Lebowski not banned? This thread will obviously blow up into a 10+ page circle jerk about how lolz stupid Christians are and how uber awesome genius all atheists are.

Anyways, carry on!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stalin's Soviet union, a godless country, routinely tortured and murdered for whatever reason they deemed necessary. I could go on with many examples of what is wrong with atheism.

[/ QUOTE ]
People acting cruelly and irrationally in a godless country is not a case for atheism being wrong. Atheism promotes neither torture nor murder, regardless of what implicit ideals you try to draw from a disbelief in God. I have my doubts that you could "go on" with *any* examples. Care to try?

[ QUOTE ]
Religion is not the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Faith-based religion is the real enemy. Only through faith are people allowed to let their biases and made-up stories supercede reason.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The important thing is that science is (ideally) in the cases where these things are done, aware of it in method. Iow. that the scientists know what they are using and why. This is the 'scientific' approach that is so important.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. requiring "rigorous proof" might be a stretch but come on you get the idea.

pokervintaage
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is hilarious how you guys eat up obvious troll attempts by Lebowski.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the one that is hilarious. People respond here because they are interested in the subject. Who cares why or who started the thread?

pokervintage
Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM

oh come on.

You can't see the irony in a thread with the title "why does this forum care so much about religion", created by someone who has created several religious threads in the past? Followed by posts leading into RELIGIOUS DEBATE?

Re-read the OP. Do you think it honestly has any potential to lead into any worthwhile discussion on science, math, or philosophy? Or do you think it's simply a lead in attempt so that the atheists on here can gather together and pat each other on the back about how they stuck it to those dumb Christians?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he criticizes the absence of logical reasoning in all Christians, when his previous threads attempting to criticize Christianity were either utterly devoid of logic, or whatever logic he attempted to include was completely dismantled in the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha link?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:21 PM

KKF -

He's probably talking about this thread, which he and BTIrish deemed "illogical" because you obviously don't agree with the Christian premise that people fundamentally deserve to be tortured forever.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 PM

haha, here !

Jeez, why does this forum care so much about religion. I can't believe all these threads people start, ya know?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism promotes neither torture nor murder

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Not yet. But wait until the first Atheist Docrine is written and see what happens.

I might claim that the reason that the soviet union, headed by an Atheist, tortured and murdered so many, some of whom did believe in God, was because Stalin did not believe in God and didn't want anyone else too because he found religion dangerous so he murdered those that believed. I might claim this, I can't prove this, even though there is probably some truth to it, but you can't disprove it. I might claim the same thing goes on in China. I can't prove the motivation of the Chinese leaders for supressing human rights. But it certainly isn't because they believe in God.

Atheism can be blamed for the actions of atheists that kill. They don't necessarily need a doctrine to follow. They may have decided in their own mine that atheism is there badge to do as they please.

O.K I said that I could show lots of examples. I was wrong. Sue me.

pokervintage.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KKF -

He's probably talking about this thread, which he and BTIrish deemed "illogical" because you obviously don't agree with the Christian premise that people fundamentally deserve to be tortured forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Subfallen,
I didn't deem it illogical. I simply pointed out that all assertions in that thread were completely devoid of any logical framework. It's hard to be illogical when your only "proofs" of Christianity being absurd are blind assertions that don't even CONTAIN any logical arguments.