Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Default i m feeling sick before playing...

i dont know if it is psychosomatic, i think it partially is. once i have started playing for a few minutes i feel better. nervousity goes down and adrenaline has gone up probably and after a while i think i am in a fine condition to play. that said i m lazy and i dont like playing, i m just playing for the money, i dont average that much per hour but probably more than elsewhere at least from now on. i also think winning or losing money still bothers me too much. how can i get the proper mindset to play? i think optimally i should play longer sessions for like 5 hours but that isnt possible now.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: i m feeling sick before playing...

[ QUOTE ]
i m lazy and i dont like playing, i m just playing for the money, i dont average that much per hour but probably more than elsewhere at least from now on. i also think winning or losing money still bothers me too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

until you fix boredom and treating money differently, you're not going to do well.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM

how do you guys do that? Im always psychologically down if i lose money...how do you get over that? I would love to get over it though coz it causes a lot of trouble
Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM

You have to somehow convince yourself that its okay to lose...for me it was focusing on process and making sure my thinking and play was maximizing my expectation, regardless of results.

If you work on getting yourself into profitable spots, the money will come.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:13 PM

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/q...benjamins.html <-- Here is an Ed Miller blog entry that helped me a lot. I've also been reading The Poker Mindset, which is good at helping understanding these issues. Another thing that changed how I feel about wins and loses is something a friend (a 30/60 player) told me. He said something to the fact that if your bankroll is too small you will constantly worry about losing it. If it is big enough you should be able to not think about the win or lose you just had and worry about the decision you have to currently make. In other words the fact that you just won or lost has nothing to do with the current hand you are in. You have to get that in your head some how. I found that Mr. Miller's article helped me start thinking this way.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you guys do that? Im always psychologically down if i lose money...how do you get over that? I would love to get over it though coz it causes a lot of trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

To be successful you have to realize you're going to lose a lot of sessions. Depending on your game, it will vary. For a turbo SNG player, the variance is huge and therefore you will lose ALOT of sessions and you have to cope. The same goes for tournament players. It's just an aspect you have to learn to live with.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be successful you have to realize you're going to lose a lot of sessions. Depending on your game, it will vary. For a turbo SNG player, the variance is huge and therefore you will lose ALOT of sessions and you have to cope. The same goes for tournament players. It's just an aspect you have to learn to live with.

[/ QUOTE ]

well I play only Turbo SnGs at the moment so that hits it.

I only had a bankroll of about 650 $ two days ago. I play the 11$ on PartyPoker. So I lost a couple and am now down to 450 $

This almost kills me psychologically because my selfesteeem is going down also and I cannot stand having my bankroll being smaller than it used to be sometime ;(

but maybe I should just start playing the 6 $ ones (but crazy 1 $ rake)

What do you think?