Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 08-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: 100NL- AJs in SB, SPR Question

[ QUOTE ]
One advantage of limping or just checking AJ/AQ in the BB is that when you hit your ace, you get tons of action from donks behind you and you can just c/c them to the river while dominating their hand, because often they'll have ace-rag.

[/ QUOTE ]Not to spoil the book for you, but the concept of SPR is important here, I think. SPR means "stack to pot ratio" (you get it by dividing the stack size by the pot size on the flop) and some hands prefer different SPRs than others.

If we just call here, our SPR is 14, which is horrible for a top pair type hand. You'll find out why when you get the book, but you can take my word for the moment that our hand will play much better with an SPR of 5 or 4. Villain will have much room to maneuver us off our hand, and when we commit with the hand we hope to hit (top pair), we can do so profitably.

This, however, would not be the case if MP3 had a bigger stack size.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please tell me what an SPR is ?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]"Stack to Pot Ratio". You can find a short article about it in the 2+2 magazine (last month?), but the concept and application are fleshed out in the new "Professional No Limit Hold Em" book just put out by 2+2.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If we just call here, our SPR is 14, which is horrible for a top pair type hand. You'll find out why when you get the book, but you can take my word for the moment that our hand will play much better with an SPR of 5 or 4. Villain will have much room to maneuver us off our hand, and when we commit with the hand we hope to hit (top pair), we can do so profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the crux I think.
If you're against the type of player who will stack off when you flop a straight or flush or monstser draw or full house or something, then limping seems a lot more correct even though you will have to give up most of the time and not win the (very small) pot.
otoh, if you're up against some really tight players, set miners or nut peddlers or whatever, a pf raise looks like the way to go, you can commit on good flops and steal on bad flops and take it (medium pot) down most of the time.