Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Default very simple preflop spot from sunday mil

Somewhat deep in the Sunday Mil, blinds are 2500/5000. I just got moved to the table, but already have probably cultivated a pretty aggressive image (raised 2 pots preflop in the first orbit at the table) also I am the biggest stack at the table, so often people will assume that the big stack is being more aggressive than he actually is. I have pretty much no reads on the villain, Ive only been at the table for about an orbit or so, and I think he has raised and taken down one pot preflop, but nothing really notable at all.

Folds to me on the button I make it 12500, bb shoves for ~80k.

My calling range=?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: very simple preflop spot from sunday mil

your stack?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 PM

If your stack is 8 million chips or more, then ATC is good enough to call.

Of course, I don't think your stack is THAT big, so some concept of your stack size would be helpful.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your stack is 8 million chips or more, then ATC is good enough to call.

Of course, I don't think your stack is THAT big, so some concept of your stack size would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 07-23-2007, 05:03 PM

in these spots i generally assume top 60% or so hands from the bb shoving, and sometimes even wider. I typically make this call with about any ace, K8+, all pairs, and maybe throw in JTs+, QTo.

however i could be pretty wrong as a lot of this is dictated by icm/math which i am not too strong at.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:10 PM

my stack is about 300k
Old 07-23-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in these spots i generally assume top 60% or so hands from the bb shoving, and sometimes even wider. I typically make this call with about any ace, K8+, all pairs, and maybe throw in JTs+, QTo.

however i could be pretty wrong as a lot of this is dictated by icm/math which i am not too strong at.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think a random player in the Sunday Million is shoving this wide of a range?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 PM

in my experience the element of button versus blinds presents itself that way at this stage of the tournament (inside bubble im pretty sure), whereas a random sunday million opponent isn't as likely to adjust shoving ranges from different positions (read: cutoff shoving over mp opener far less likely to be light).

when the table conditions have presented hero's image to be significantly more loose and aggressive than what would be deemed standard for hero, imo hero needs to call wider. this scenario only presents itself imo in button and blind confrontations in a tournament like the sunday mil. i just base this law of averages into making your call, since you just got to the table and cannot determine how loose or aggressive your opposition is.

im assuming you're into the money a fair amount, so it's just that element where youre at that stage of the tournament where there's an inflection point between "survival" and "accumulate" for the random sunday million satellite qualifier. they see their 20bb stack at this stage in the tournament and decide that now they are effectively on a freeroll, and as such will start playing significantly more wreckless than their standard "fold to cash" strategy.

were you to be before the money bubble, or at a stage in the tournament where there were <100 left, then you could adjust your image and allow yourself to fold more, as in those stages imo people tend to tighten up as the utility (or value, i guess) of the pay jumps are greatest at this stage.

100-500 inside the money, its a significantly different opponent mindset that involves saying "fk it, ive made my $500 from this $3 satellite investment, i'm way content busting at this point because then i could have dinner, fk this bigstack trying to push me around, lets see if you can call me SUCKER".

at least, this is the way i see it.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:43 PM

w/ Menlo's image it seems like A8o+ KJ+ K9s+ QJ, QTs+, 22+ would be a good call here.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Ansky, he said he's new to the table and doesn't know villain.

My range is like 22+/A6+/KT+/K7s+/QJ/QTs. I guess that's basically the same as ansky's.