Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: annoying dealer comments

[ QUOTE ]

And for the brand new to B&M tourist just sitting down for his first 2/4 game, normal rules are like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for crystalizing my point bav. After getting deer in the headlights'ed and almost getting up from the game I was so flustered (and I play 10 hours a week live), I think the dealer should just say "what's best" and have no problem with it.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if the rules are like that I would much prefer the dealer to sat which is best rather then go through speech that every time a new player comes in.

[/ QUOTE ]
And for the brand new to B&M tourist just sitting down for his first 2/4 game, normal rules are like this. I've seen people get deer in headlights looks and be completely speechless and frozen in terror when the first thing the dealer asks when they sit down is "are you posting?" Doesn't help when the dealer tries to "clarify" with something like "you can post a big blind now or wait for the blind and post then, or wait a couple more hands and buy the button, or let the button pass and come in behind". The response is either a deepening look of terror or a plantive "uhhhh... ok?" A simple "you can post or wait two hands for the blind--I'd just wait" will speed things up and make the first impression the player gets match what the floor promised him...that "the dealer will help you figure it out."

You want to cultivate the friendly appearance of the table to the n00bs. Sure, get 'em to do something stupid like post UTG and you may get an extra $2 from 'em one time. Or make friends, convince them this is just like playing on their kitchen table, and they'll come back and give you $200 every weekend long as they're having a good time.

It sounds like in OP's case the player wasn't new. In which case, he knew he had the option to ask to be let in. And if he's as hot-to-play and as bad as we're lead to believe, he probably will ask to be dealt in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally when I see the "Runaway Bride" Deer in the Headlights look, I'll smile at the n00b and say: "You just need to post a Big Blind to see your first cards - you can do it now or wait a couple of hands until you're ready. Oh, and those things are called 'chips'. Good luck!"

They always appreciate the "welcome" to the table. It relieves the tension and the game goes on.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 PM

Playing last night at Bellagio, dealers all seemed good about this. They knew the regulars, and when a tourist sat down it was a variation of "you can pay $4 now, or sit out x hands until you're the big blind." Worked well. They'd either figure it out quick, or the regulars would all chime in telling the fish to post now.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It sounds like in OP's case the player wasn't new. In which case, he knew he had the option to ask to be let in. And if he's as hot-to-play and as bad as we're lead to believe, he probably will ask to be dealt in.

[/ QUOTE ]

he did ask to be dealt in, and he posted, but the dealer told him it was better to wait, so he shrugged and pulled his bet back. This guy ALWAYS posts the second he sits down.

Another dealer stopped a guy from coming in on his blind and explained it was better to come in between. WHAT THE [censored]?
I don't want every goddamn player coming in between from now on.

This seems nitty, but the blinds are srs biz in lhe. You NL guys prob don't give a hoor about any of this, which is understandable.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 AM

If the player doesn't know when an obvious choice of option "A" is better than option "B," I think it's great the the dealer says something. It's often a player new to cardroom poker and if it helps them out, it's good for them, it's good for you, and it's good for the game.

Anyway, sometimes giving them an option is really giving advice. Often a dealer will say to a new player, who is UTG+2 or something, "You want to wait?", meaning, "I'm assuming you want to wait because this is not the best thing to do, to post here so close to the blind."

The only thing a dealer ever does that annoys me is not pay attention.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM

The "nice hand" kills me to no end and only tip the dealer $1 when I win a pot no matter the size if they nice hand. I usually follow with a "it wasn't nice for the person that just lost," to get my point across.

However, the worst at the Showboat a few night ago. This guy was playing and winning some pots small to medium in size. He was $1 tipper. During the game he talked about how he was a waiter and it was important to tip 20 percent to waiters. He made some comment about how he should get going cause he has a long drive home and he's up.

The dealer says to him, "Well I'm shocked you any chips left the way you play."

Players at the table were in shock and he drove the guy away who was pretty decent action. The dealer was mad because he only tipped $1/hand and according to the dealers, "It's his game. He can say whatever he wants."

Sadly, dealers like this are making the game unenjoyable. I want to play poker and enjoy myself, not have to worry that dealers are going to drive action away.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he did ask to be dealt in, and he posted, but the dealer told him it was better to wait,

Another dealer stopped a guy from coming in on his blind and explained it was better to come in between

[/ QUOTE ]

These dealers are out of line. SNOWBALL should be annoyed.