Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

View Poll Results: HSSCKH?
Yes 25 78.13%
No 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Clear up

[ QUOTE ]
Being with a hot chick has an obvious upside but if they're dumb do you really want to spend your life with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. Never again, not in a million years. But I made the mistake in the past. And try explaining your ideas to a legion of young, intelligent, successful men who rationalize that being dumb really isn’t that bad.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being with a hot chick has an obvious upside but if they're dumb do you really want to spend your life with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. Never again, not in a million years. But I made the mistake in the past. And try explaining your ideas to a legion of young, intelligent, successful men who rationalize that being dumb really isn’t that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] maybe the social pressure they were under to marry good wives from the same group helped minimize this.

chez
Old 09-08-2006, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A few more possibilities:

In the past intellectual ability didn't easily translate into financial success.

or, partner selection was largly controlled by the women with intellectual women selecting intellectual husbands.

That list of very clever people that was in the other thread. I'd guess that if you looked at their parents you would find both parents tended to be highy intelligent.

chez
Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Practice safe discourse

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the main things people will do as they grow up is seek out people who can carry out discourse at a similar level as they will have the same interests. Groups of the more intelligent will form and they will tend to select partners from that group.

[/ QUOTE ]
But highly intelligent males will at some point in their life become successful, at which time, they will venture away from their group of intelligent females and seek out "hot chicks"

[/ QUOTE ]Uhh, again please. Why would "intelligent males" seek out and prefer "intelligent females" over females possessing ..other prominent attributes? I mean, now and every time, as opposed to "at some point"?

I didn'ta catch that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That list of very clever people that was in the other thread. I'd guess that if you looked at their parents you would find both parents tended to be highy intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]Not in the case of Bobby Fischer.

Mickey Brausch
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be fairly clever, and my mom is . . . not.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Bang up

[ QUOTE ]
But let's f*ck around in the lab anyway.

That's what proponents of eugenics bring along.

[/ QUOTE ]

"F*cking around" in the lab is one of the ways to learn more about genetics. At any rate, selection will work like this. The only question is whether there are "side effects" and if so, what. Not such a huge concern IMO.

And nobody is talking about labs anyhow. The way you're talking, we'd drive smart people into a little white room, never to see the light of day, and come in twice a week to make them screw at gunpoint, then give their babies IQ tests and kill the ones that fail.

I don't think anyone (who's not a nazi) would design the experiment like that.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Not in the case of Bobby Fischer.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]
'tend to' as in there will be a corrolation. They may not all be highly intelligent. how do you know about Mrs Fischer?

chez
Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be fairly clever, and my mom is . . . not.

[/ QUOTE ]
knew you had to get those film star good looks from somewhere.

chez