Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Default gmail has been hacked...what to do?

I don't know what to do here. I have several gmail accounts but I have lost access to my main account, the one that is my actual name @gmail.com

I checked one of my secondary accounts and the inbox is missing all of the emails from six months ago up until ~10:00am today. WTF. These are the only two addresses that would contain any information that I don't want compromised and they are the only two that appear to have been [censored] with.

I'm freaking out a little bit here. I'm running scans and I've changed my poker passwords, etc. I filled out a couple of stupid forms to send to gmail. There is information in the one account that I NEED, though. Has anyone had their gmail compromised before? How quick were they to respond? What was the resolution?

Part of the problem here is that these accounts were created so long ago that I don't have a clue who the gmail referrer was or what the secondary addresses are for the accounts. WTF, do people really keep track of this stuff forever?

My password would be impossible to guess and there's no way anyone has had access to my pc/laptop so I'm assuming I have a keyloger. [censored]. What do I do?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: gmail has been hacked...what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
I've changed my poker passwords, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

From? If you changed a password from a computer that could have been compromised then you really haven't made yourself more secure.

If you have reason to suspect that you have a keylogger on a computer that you play poker from, my advice is to reformat. Is really is the only 100% sure way. Back in the day I ran an experiment to test how effective various spyware/virus removal programs were. After acquiring some nasty stuff (pron + IE ftw) I ran spybot, lavasoft, etc. Though scans run in safe mode could 'remove it' (otherwise it would reboot the puter) it was always able to resurrect itself. Even after a sterling hijackthis log it still kept coming back.

Now obviously computers aren't magic and there is of course a way to get rid of these things. The point is that it can be very difficult and you take the risk that some remnant of the program is left even using 'sophisticated' removal tools. Personally I would never take this chance on any computer that I have sensitive info on, play poker on, access financial information on, etc.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:26 PM

I changed my passwords on a different network altogether.

I was hoping to avoid reformatting, but I'm sure I can't.

I wonder how long it will take Google to get back to me.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

what malware protection are you running? Is it up to date?

Multiply the chance of a keylogger by the value of your total poker accounts. If a couple hours of your life is worth less than the product above, reformat.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Good luck and please let us know what google says, very curious about how they handle these situations.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck and please let us know what google says, very curious about how they handle these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've filled out their "My account has been compromised" form three times in the last 24 hours and have yet to hear from them, fwiw.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've filled out their "My account has been compromised" form three times in the last 24 hours and have yet to hear from them, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

They work very hard and attempt to get back to everybody within 2 business days. Believe me, they care about this very seriously and will help you.