Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Abusing amphetamines(etc.) and playing World of Warcraft

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you are looking for some actual advice, I think you probably already know the only way out.

I've been in your exact spot many times, mostly with Everquest. Addicted for 15+ hours/day, can't stop thinking about it, can't stop leveling, etc. Also had many stints with uninstalling, breaking cd's, etc, all which were inevitably futile.

If you actually *want* to quit, then the only way out for you is to sell your account. It obviously forces you to stop playing simply because you can't log in. You will have to buy a new account and level up again if you want to.

This is assuming you want to quit. I remember when I was playing I didn't actually want to quit, just my girlfriend, friends and family did. I was perfectly happy playing all hours of the day and night and didn't see it as necessarily "unhealthy". People have a strange view of what others should be doing with their life and just because playing video games isn't "cool" doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I mean the same people on 2+2 who slam you for wasting your life away are the same people who read 2+2 for 6 hours a day. Its easy to look down on a gamer.

However, I do feel that if you are playing 8+ hours a day and have a desire to quit, then the only solution is to get rid of it completely because honestly there is no moderation for our type of personalities it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I play WOW alot lately and it's a lot more fun than it used to be. I play with IRL friends and compete in 5vs5 arena etc. I do put in too many hours though and I'm trying to cut down but, if I quit it alltogether I'd have to find new friends and basically ignore the one's I have now as they keep dragging me back into this game :P

Anyways my point is that for some people playing these games a lot might be, I dunno, good for them? I mean, for a while like a few months or something, as long as you're not hurting anyone or yourself physically or like going completely broke and getting thrown out on the street or something, where's the real harm? Maybe breaking up with your current/former girlfriend is a good thing in the long run(just an example)?

Besides, there's a lot of fun to be had in these types of games and loads of interesting people to meet and play with.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, don't worry.

Starcraft 2 comes out soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2007, 01:36 PM

I can't quit WoW because there's nothing else to do. It's totally lame I've got 2 lvl 70's and 3 other 60+ and I just bitch about all the little things in the game I hate it so much now but I can't find any other way to distract my mind. Las Vegas with 100 degree weather + no car = total boredom. I no longer recall wtf I did with my free time before computer gaming. Poker makes me feel suicidal so I'm lucky to play 10 hours a week.

If I had a girlfriend that wanted to sex me no way would I be turning that [censored] down.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got 2 lvl 70's
If I had a girlfriend that wanted to sex me no way would I be turning that [censored] down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell john a lvl 70 at the cost of sex with his g/f

WIN WIN
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Las Vegas with 100 degree weather + no car = total boredom.

[/ QUOTE ]

LLLOOOOLLLL, people who sit at home and play this game will be bored no matter where they are, and no matter what weather they're in. Although I've never been to LV, anyone who claims to be bored in it is obv doing something wrong.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyways my point is that for some people playing these games a lot might be, I dunno, good for them? I mean, for a while like a few months or something, as long as you're not hurting anyone or yourself physically or like going completely broke and getting thrown out on the street or something, where's the real harm? Maybe breaking up with your current/former girlfriend is a good thing in the long run(just an example)?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i had this. i spent all of 2005 smoking weed, eating takeaway, and playing WoW. looking back it was because i was feeling trapped and depressed with my life and i was unhappy in my relationship and needed some escapism. by the end of the year my gf broke up with me and i had put on weight, started resenting going outside, etc. but this turned out to be a good thing as our relationship was very unhealthy and i now had the motivation to make something of myself, because my life sucked.

so i spent the past 2 years focusing more on irl, have a much nicer gf, lost back the weight, my band is doing well, and i made about a half mill playing poker more seriously and used it to buy a nice apartment right in the city. on paper my life rules now and sucked then, but to be honest i had a LOT of [censored] fun that year, and don't really regret it at all. i wouldn't have wanted to do it any longer, but one year? who gives a [censored], it was fun, and i knew when it was time to get out, so i did.

i think i will always look back on the game fondly, and when i am older with family, responsibilities, etc, i am pretty sure i will chuckle to myself and remember smoking 3 bongs before breakfast, logging onto Azeroth and gaming the whole day away in a joyous haze and i doubt i will regret it.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM

anyway OP despite what i said, clearly you know it's time for you to get out, so you have to do it somehow. i never really had that. my gf and family hated it and my friends thought it was a bit weird, but i had no desire to quit, i was having a ball.

as soon as i knew it was time to give it up, i didn't have any trouble. although to be honest i basically went from 10 hours a day WoW to 8 hours a day poker, and over time as my hourly went up and enthusiasm went down, poker time fell away drastically and was replaced with genuine IRL stuff.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lets get some numbers here, how many hours are you playing a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some guy I know used to play it and spent 85+ hours on it one week.

[/ QUOTE ]

My best friend started playing MMORPGs in high school, and dropped out his sophomore year so he could play them (I think he started with Ultima Online; he's been on WoW for a while now). That was when he was 15. He just turned 25, he's still in his parents attic playing non-stop, he's still impossible to get out of the house to do anything, and yes he has a girlfriend.

I don't know how to play any of the games, but one time I logged onto his account and started doing a bunch of [censored] like murdering people in some village, which apparently is bad for the player's reputation and lowers his points (I think this was Ultima; don't know if it's the same with other games). That was pretty funny, but he was really pissed. Another time I deleted his account. He didn't find that funny, either.

I'm kind of happy to see that it's an actual problem and that my friend isn't just some isolated [censored]-up with these games. I would say you guys should form some type of online support group, but thinking about it I realize how that'd end up.

It's too bad. He's a smart kid and was always in the honors classes with me in middle school. Although he was always addicted to video games (he was the kid that was absent literally every other day in school), the MMORPGs are what did him in.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey man, what do you mean overdose of Ibuprofen? Does it have recreational purposes? Or were you trying to kill your stomach?

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean 20 pills of it followed by 20 more 2 hours later.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Las Vegas with 100 degree weather + no car = total boredom.

[/ QUOTE ]

LLLOOOOLLLL, people who sit at home and play this game will be bored no matter where they are, and no matter what weather they're in. Although I've never been to LV, anyone who claims to be bored in it is obv doing something wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it's called not having a car. It's true I'd probably not do much more even if it wasn't hot, but at least I'd go see a movie every week or something.