Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you down
YES, AWESOME 10 66.67%
NO, BASTARD 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Re: The Fate of #756 by Marc Ecko

I voted for launch into space, mostly because I wasn't envisioning a spacecraft being involved. Just a really powerful baseball cannon.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the existence of this ball is extremely disrespectful to the traditions of the game. Brand that shizzle and lets make sure the fans know for all time that this was not the HR record ball but the post steroid-era HR record ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

Look, Aaron was most likely on greenies, Ruth never played with anyone but whites, every era has its scandals. Bonds happened to play in an era when most of the players were on steroids INCLUDING PITCHERS, so we should condemn him for this. He likely didn't take steroids until after he had already proven himself to be one of the all time greats. A-Rod has a good chance of crushing his record and is probably on HGH so lets be ready to put an asterisk next to his accomplishments too, right.

Last post on the subject, but the fact is that Bonds broke the record and someday its going to look absolutely ridiculous to see a ball with an asterisk and a record that has been broken by a couple people (cuz I'm sure someone will break A-Rod's record someday) more legitimately.

[/ QUOTE ]

but those other guys didn't make the children cry
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the existence of this ball is extremely disrespectful to the traditions of the game. Brand that shizzle and lets make sure the fans know for all time that this was not the HR record ball but the post steroid-era HR record ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

Look, Aaron was most likely on greenies, Ruth never played with anyone but whites, every era has its scandals. Bonds happened to play in an era when most of the players were on steroids INCLUDING PITCHERS, so we should condemn him for this. He likely didn't take steroids until after he had already proven himself to be one of the all time greats. A-Rod has a good chance of crushing his record and is probably on HGH so lets be ready to put an asterisk next to his accomplishments too, right.

Last post on the subject, but the fact is that Bonds broke the record and someday its going to look absolutely ridiculous to see a ball with an asterisk and a record that has been broken by a couple people (cuz I'm sure someone will break A-Rod's record someday) more legitimately.

[/ QUOTE ]

but those other guys didn't make the children cry

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Aaron made a lot of racist white children cry
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Marc Ecko is a serious attention whore.

If he puts * on it, the HOF is just going to put it facing the back of the display case, ldo.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone should break into the Hall and deface all of Ty Cobb's artifacts. It's disgraceful that they would let a self-proclaimed racist into Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.J.'s busy for the near future, but I'm sure someone else can do it.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone should break into the Hall and deface all of Ty Cobb's artifacts. It's disgraceful that they would let a self-proclaimed racist into Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.J.'s busy for the near future, but I'm sure someone else can do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interestingly enough, someone once stole O.J. Simpsons bust from the football HOF. Not that shocking though since the football HOF is a glorified truckstop compared to Cooperstown.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would haven taken steroids also if I was Bonds and I don't dislike him for doing so (instead it's because he seems like a huge douche.) And I think everyone who breaks the record after Bonds will have probably taken some type of steroid or similar PED as well, at least until robots or androids or something are allowed in baseball. Really it comes down to the fact that I don't care much about the record anymore since I think Aaron would have hit about 100 more on the cream and Babe like 200 more on the cream + greenies. And the idea that hitting a homerun now is basically the same as it was 70 years ago was one of the things that makes the record (and most baseball records) have actual meaning. Otherwise records are pointless.
What it really comes down to is that since there isn't much tradition in baseball (or really most sports other than golf) to me these days, and I think the asterisk thing is pretty funny, I say do it. But what I'd really like to see done is have the ball sold again and the money donated to charity, maybe youth sports or something like that.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What it really comes down to is that since there isn't much tradition in baseball

[/ QUOTE ]
WHAT?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would haven taken steroids also if I was Bonds and I don't dislike him for doing so (instead it's because he seems like a huge douche.) And I think everyone who breaks the record after Bonds will have probably taken some type of steroid or similar PED as well, at least until robots or androids or something are allowed in baseball. Really it comes down to the fact that I don't care much about the record anymore since I think Aaron would have hit about 100 more on the cream and Babe like 200 more on the cream + greenies. And the idea that hitting a homerun now is basically the same as it was 70 years ago was one of the things that makes the record (and most baseball records) have actual meaning. Otherwise records are pointless.
What it really comes down to is that since there isn't much tradition in baseball (or really most sports other than golf) to me these days, and I think the asterisk thing is pretty funny, I say do it. But what I'd really like to see done is have the ball sold again and the money donated to charity, maybe youth sports or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about the possibility that Babe Ruth went his entire career without facing a single pitcher who would make a MLB roster under the current conditions?

If you don't believe me, think for a minute or two about the size of the player pool that MLB drew from then and compare it to now.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM

By the way, it absolutely, hilariously, defies logic to think that Aaron would have hit 100 more home runs if he was playing now and on steroids. Or did you mean if he got to use the steroids and no one else did? If I had to guess, I'd say that Aaron would have probably hit 50 or 60 less home runs if he had started his career when Bonds did and used the same amount of steroids or PEDs Bonds has. I'm not sure EXACTLY how much you can deprecate his numbers based on the league being much tougher now, but its gotta be 5 or 6% at least, probably more. And if he was doing it without steroids or PEDs? Probably ~100 less or so.