Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Which method do you think is better for non-full swings?

I'm sure there's some shots where you don't want to club up, but instead do 1 of 3 things (maybe more, I'm still a newbie).

1. Do a full backswing, but lower your downswing speed.
2. Do a partial backswing (varied depending on how much you want to lay off), and do a full downswing speed.
3. Do a partial backswing, vary your downswing speed, and use your wrist to make up the difference.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Which method do you think is better for non-full swings?

Different length backswings with a solid tempo for different distances. Also, changes in setup can help you hit it shorter, (choking down, narrower stance)

option 1 is terrible, and option 3 is ???
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks. Yeah I guess trying to keep the same speed would be the most consistent?

3 means, using your wrist (cocking it) to add more distance (if this is even possible? heh) while using a different backswing length or downswing speed.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:27 PM

shortening the arc of your swing while keeping the same turn speed is by far the best way to execute a 3/4 type shot. Any other way brings in factors that are much much much harder to repeat consistently.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 means, using your wrist (cocking it) to add more distance (if this is even possible? heh) while using a different backswing length or downswing speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should always have some sort of wrist hinge. If your hitting a bump and run then you really shouldn't be hinging your wrist any more on the takeaway. Other than that shot, pretty much all other shots contain some sort of wrist hinge during the swing.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Always, always, always accelerate the club head through the ball. Anything else is a recipe for disaster and poor swing mechanics.

Just think like a clock. If a full swing is at 12:00 o'clock then learn to take the club back to 11, 10, 9, etc. The follow through should ALWAYS be longer then the back swing. Accelerate the club through the ball, but don't try and match the same club head speed as a full shot, just swing at the same tempo and the club speed will be lower.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 PM

I've never been a great wedge player in relation to my ability (I'm scratch), but one small change has improved my wedge game immensely with distance control.

You know how Vijay sort of slides the left side of his body perpendicular to the ball as he swings? Although I don't find this move very comfortable unless I'm hitting a cut (he does it to stop himself from hitting a draw), it works great on wedge shots. Basically, if I want to hit an 80% wedge shot, I take about an 80% backswing, and do that Vijay move with 80% of my weight... and it seems to work perfect every time.

Tough to explain in words, I'll post a vid some time.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been a great wedge player in relation to my ability (I'm scratch), but one small change has improved my wedge game immensely with distance control.

You know how Vijay sort of slides the left side of his body perpendicular to the ball as he swings? Although I don't find this move very comfortable unless I'm hitting a cut (he does it to stop himself from hitting a draw), it works great on wedge shots. Basically, if I want to hit an 80% wedge shot, I take about an 80% backswing, and do that Vijay move with 80% of my weight... and it seems to work perfect every time.

Tough to explain in words, I'll post a vid some time.

[/ QUOTE ]Please do, my wedge play is my weak spot by a country mile, I'm single digit so not in your league, but I'd love some tips that actually work, I just can't find a method that gets the job done on the course. I'll practice forever and hit lovely crisp 30-90 yarders, but once I have a card in my hand............
Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 PM

1 is bad - could lead to decelerating on your downswing.

Just choke down a little on the club, make a 3/4 turn, and do everything else the same.

A pro told me to always concentrate on how similar all golf shots are - not to think of it as having a special swing for every shot.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 AM

I believe the best method is to vary the speed at which you start your swing then maintain a nice consistent pace throughout. Don't focus on accelerating the club through the ball, just keep it moving with your body at the tempo you set in the takeaway.