Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Default A few recent hands-Bet/Fold situations?

A few minutes ago I read a post regarding Bet/fold situations. I feel like I just came up on one, where I was going to take the tactic
a)show aggression on the flop unless there are overcards.
b)3 bet any raise and see how villain responds
c)fold to any raise on the turn if overcards appear or UI.
Hand #1
Limit .25-.50
FTP 9 players
Hero is in the SB with 2 black 10s
3 folds to MP who raises, all fold to Hero in SB who calls...
My intention was to see the flop and then show aggression. I am uncomfortable 3 betting OOP and then seeing A, K, or Q show up and be raised or play it weak with a check/call.
BB calls.
3 players 6 bets
FLOP-892 rainbow
Hero bets, BB folds, MP raises, Hero 3 bets, MP calls.
I am thinking that the MP has AKs-AJs, or JJ-QQ at best.
TURN-10 (no flush draw)
Hero bets, MP calls.
Perhaps there is a straight draw here as I can still see MP with AJs. Villain was hoping to hit an overcard and now backed into an OESD.
RIVER-J
Hero bets, MP Calls...

Is this a bet/fold situation on the turn, or do I follow my read.
Hand #2
.25-.50 FTP 9 players
Villain in this hand shows alot of aggression when he is in the SB. Whenever he misses the flop, but has overs or a draw, he will C/R the field and lead every street.

Hero is on the button with black 6s.
4 folds, MP raises, 1 fold, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.
3 players, 7 bets
FLOP-8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, MP checks, Hero bets, SB check raises, MP folds, Hero 3 bets, SB calls.
I now think that SB is on a FD, possibly Ace high, or a straight draw. I haven't seen him check raise TP in this situation as he ususally bets out.
TURN-Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, SB check raises, Hero 3 bets, SB calls...
I am steaming a little and I still believe that he is trying to push me off this hand.
RIVER- 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks...

Hand #3
Can I fold this AA on the turn. The pot is too big and I haven't seen any aggression on the part of UTG.
My spidey sense is buzzing.

Poker stars .50-1.00

The table has been very aggressive over the last 3 orbits and I thought that I could take advantage of this when I picked up 2 black aces UTG+1. We have seen 2-4 players per hand on ave.
UTG raises, Hero calls, EP 3-bets, all fold to UTG who calls, Hero caps, all call.
3 players, 13.5 bets
FLOP 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets, EP raises, UTG calls, Hero 3 bets, EP caps, UTG calls...
I am thinking that UTG either has AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or somehow has a 10. I think EP has KK or AA.
3 players 25.5 bets
TURN-K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets, EP raises, UTG calls (I now know UTG has AK) Hero calls.
Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Utg checks, Hero checks, EP bets,UTG calls, Hero calls...
Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: A few recent hands-Bet/Fold situations?

Wow on the second hand. That was spewtastic. I can understand that you think he might be jerking you around on the turn, but three bets? Sheesh.

Hand one is goot. I'm not sure that is a bet/fold; I think I bet/call. Maybe it's just me, but heads up I never fold a set. I'm sure this is a teeny, tiny bit -EV from a pure math standpoint, but if I were to ever fold a set to one opponent on the river and be shown something I beat I think I might just tilt out of a window or something equally horrifying.

Hand 3 is interesting. If you're putting UTG on a a K, then you can't justifiably fold the turn fearing the last two kings from EP. I'm more apt to believe that UTG has AK and EP has AK[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s. It's more likely at least. I think that's an easy overcall.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Hand #1
I would have check raised the flop and called for 3 bets. Then raise flat out on turn and river. Pre-flop looks ok.

Hand #2 Don't cold call with a baby pair. Re-raise or fold. Mostly fold. You don't need the big blind calling for odds, and hitting something strange. But call is the worst here. Then you wen't overboard post flop. You said you thought he was trying to push you off the hand. It doesnt matter. You were possibly ahead, but he had many outs to beat you anyway. Just get out of the way and get him later.

Hand #3
You should re-raise straight up pre flop. AA is not a hand you want to be playing multi-way. Flat calling in a game is loose as you say is asking for trouble. You are making it auto call for medium pairs and suited connectors and stuff. They will have odds to chase for the rest of the hand.

From these three hands, I would advise you to cold call way way less. Make is a general rule to re-raise or fold almost always. Unless you have AQ suited, KQ suited, or AJ suited. Dont get carried away with big pairs. You only have one pair at the end of the day, and that doesnt win often in large multi-way pots. Better to trim the field, and try and win a small pot.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:07 PM

without getting into specifics of your hands, i want to relay a couple concepts to you:

1)reraising on the small streets is your friend on the big streets.

2)coldcalling with a made hand in a large pot in LHE is generally bad.

3)because overcards come on the board doesn't necessarily mean your opponents hold them/your hand is ruined.

these themes seemed to echo multiple times in your previous post. oh, and that turn 3bet with the pair/gutshot was pretty yuck.