Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: 2007 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Anyone hear anything about Jermaine Dye for Wily Mo Pena and a relief pitcher? My friend heard that the deal was all but done on ESPN radio in Chi-town, but BP says:

"Rumors from the Boston Globe that the Sox and Sox were closing in on a deal carry a lot of weight with me, but I'd heard this deal yesterday, and when the Red Sox refused to give up more than just Wily Mo Pena, I'd been told that Jermaine Dye was pulled back off of the table, and that the White Sox didn't anticipate making a pre-deadline deal for Dye. We'll see if my sources were correct."
Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone hear anything about Jermaine Dye for Wily Mo Pena and a relief pitcher? My friend heard that the deal was all but done on ESPN radio in Chi-town, but BP says:

"Rumors from the Boston Globe that the Sox and Sox were closing in on a deal carry a lot of weight with me, but I'd heard this deal yesterday, and when the Red Sox refused to give up more than just Wily Mo Pena, I'd been told that Jermaine Dye was pulled back off of the table, and that the White Sox didn't anticipate making a pre-deadline deal for Dye. We'll see if my sources were correct."

[/ QUOTE ]

as of right now, it looks like the red sox won't give up one of their top pitching prospects or delcarmen for dye. sounds like they wanted to swap pena for dye, which obv won't happen

edit: sox get gagne for delcarmen + prospects
Old 07-30-2007, 04:34 PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies added Kyle Lohse for the stretch run, obtaining the right-hander from the Cincinnati Reds on Monday for lefty Matt Maloney.

The 28-year-old Lohse is 6-12 with a 4.58 ERA in 21 starts this season, going 4-3 with a 2.57 ERA at home but 2-9 with a 6.42 ERA in the road.

Lohse is 60-74 with a 4.83 ERA in eight seasons with Minnesota and Cincinnati, which acquired him from the Twins at the July 31 trade deadline last year. He is making $4.2 million his year and is eligible for free agency after the World Series.

Maloney, who is 23, was 9-7 with a 3.94 ERA in 21 starts at Double-A Reading, striking out 115 in 125 2-3 innings. He was the South Atlantic League pitcher of the year in 2006, going 16-9 with a 2.03 ERA for Lakewood. He will report to Double-A Chattanooga.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:34 PM

Eric Gagne is only going to a team where he can close due to his contract.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats all i had heard as well, and probably true. it was posted on SOSH, but w/out link...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He could still go to the Yankees, he can't refuse it. I just hope they don't give up anything serious for him.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an actual clause in his contract that states this, or is it part of a trade refusal clause? Or is it just because of the money he is making (no one wants to pay a lot of money so he can just be a set-up man)?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an actual clause in his contract that states this, or is it part of a trade refusal clause? Or is it just because of the money he is making (no one wants to pay a lot of money so he can just be a set-up man)?

[/ QUOTE ]

his incentives are based on closing games, but he does not have a full no trade clause. red sox, tigers, angels are on it, yankees are not.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gagne can be traded to the Yankees, Mets, Angels, and nine other clubs without his consent.

If Gagne is to be traded to the Tigers, Indians, Phillies, Red Sox, or thirteen other unknown clubs, he must consent. That means additional concessions on the part of the acquiring team.

This is from mlbtraderumors.com
Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you know the definition of "semantics."

Giving up three young prospects rather than JoJo Reyes is a big difference. As the resident ESPN genius writer, I think you should know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Uh, what? I said Salty + Pitcher + prospect for Teixiera and that wouldn't happen. It didn't

Salty + Prospect + Prospect + Prospect for Teixiera + Idiot is what you got."

So the difference in your deal (Salty + pitcher + prospect) is one prospect. In return, they get a reliever. Semantics. Spirit of the deal = same.