Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Default A bunch of questions

Feel free to answer as many or as few as you please. I feel like Im going nuts due to taking an evolution class as well as a class called belief and unbeleif this semester.

1. What consitutes "intelligent life"?
-what makes us human?

2. Is language neccesary in order to think?
-or in other words, when someone with no sense of language "thinks" is it nothing more than a series of pictures popping into their head? Would this sort of person be capable of any sort of logic?

3. Do monkeys "think" or do they merely act and react based on a series of instincts, similar to when humans act based on instinct when forced to make an instant decision with no time to think? (e.g. someone throws a ball at you and your arms react to catch it without you actually thinking about catching it)

4. will the human race survive long enough to make signifigant evolutionary improivements in the area of mental capablilties? What additional capabilites could we potentially acquire, maybe something like ESP for example?

5. What do you think earth will be like when the sun burns out in 5 billion years or whatever. Will humans still be around? Will all of the current life have died off at some point and the process have started over? Will the sun burning out not even matter because we will have already vacated earth in favor of a better planet in a different solar system?

6. If you are an atheist, do you think life has any sort of intrinsic value? In other words, why is the matter that a human happens to be made up of any more important or sacred than any non-living matter and especially why is it more important/special/sacred than any other living matter?

7. Do you believe life exists on other planets, espeically those outside our galaxy? If so, is it only a matter of time before it evolves into something intelligent if it has not already done so?

For theists-if we were to find life on other planets, would this be reconcileable with your religion?

For christians-would you expect god to send another son to that planet if he has not already done so? If the life on this other planet is similarily intelligent to us, and the creatures act like christians even though they have never heard of jesus or christianity would you expect them to see them in heaven?

OK I know some of these (number 7) are pretty ridiculous, and some may cause me to come off as stupid or ignorant, and most obviously dont have a definitive answer, its just a bunch have stuff I have been thinking about that I wanted to hear some other peoples thoughts on.

also sorry if most/all of this has already been discussed on here.

Thanks.