Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Trouble recognizing people?

I'm starting to wonder how much I suck at observing things in general, especialy recognizing people. Today two things happend to me that showed me I'm horrible with faces. At the bank, a girl about my age came up to me and asked how I was doing, and that it's been a long time. I had no idea who she was and tried to play it off like I did. Then tonight I'm watching TV and see This comercial come on TV again. I've made fun of this commercial several times in the past to friends, but today I figured out that the soldier in question actualy went to my high school (small school so everyone knew everybody). In my defense he looks a lot different now then he used to, but both of the parents were involved in a wedding I stood up in about 6 months ago. How the hell can I watch something like this so many times and not see this?

Is anybody else horrible at recognizing people? I find it causes tons of awkward spots in my life, and I'm curious if this is normal.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Trouble recognizing people?

Do you smoke a lot of weed?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 AM

Yea, this happens to me all the time. I used to smoke a lot of weed and I think that's the culprit.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:23 AM

I smoke tons of weed and am great with faces. Consider yourself lucky - some people can't ID people visually at all:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/blind.html
Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I smoke tons of weed and am great with faces. Consider yourself lucky - some people can't ID people visually at all:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/blind.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have face blindness w/ asians lol
Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 AM

This is my biggest weakness, and I don't smoke. I can see someone occasionally for 6 months and still forget them 3 weeks later if we don't have a major interaction. Girls, guys, doesn't matter.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:22 AM

I tell people that there's something wrong with my brain when it comes to names and faces. They seem very disappointed if I act like I've never seen them before. I beg them to try not to take it personally, and assure them that the problem lies somewhere inside my brain.

Personally, I think it's just being self-centered. I remember people who are important to me. I dismiss everyone else from my mind. I don't WANT to be that way, but I am.

Often, I will be introduced to someone, and FIVE SECONDS LATER, I can't remember their name. Again, if it's someone important (like a job interviewer), I'll retain it. If it's someone I'll probably never see again, it's gone in seconds.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 AM

I am the least visually observant person ever. You could pretty much steal my couch and I wouldn't notice until I tried to throw my laundry on it.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 AM

I never forget a face and I never remember a name. It is so bad that when I'm introduced to someone for the first time I apologize in advance for not remembering their name the next time we meet.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Often, I will be introduced to someone, and FIVE SECONDS LATER, I can't remember their name. Again, if it's someone important (like a job interviewer), I'll retain it. If it's someone I'll probably never see again, it's gone in seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way, but I'm pretty sure the name just doesn't register in the first place. I tend to be concentrating on other more retarded stuff.