Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Tiger trade for Renteria

I'm guessing the money goes to Glavine or Schilling.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing the money goes to Glavine or Schilling.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch

Bring back Steve Avery?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Glavine has made it rather clear he wants to come back to Atlanta. He'll probably eat enough innings to be a solid third or fourth starter, but I'm not wild about him coming back.

From all reports, the Braves got some good prospects in this trade. It sounds like Jurrjens could be a fourth or fifth starter as soon as next year and Hernandez sounds like he has a lot of upside. However, I don't get the rush from the Atlanta perspective. The offseason literally just started, so why not let a team get desperate and see if you can squeeze more prospects out of someone.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM

From a Brave fan perspective I love this trade. Jurrjens is a massive upgrade to the back of the rotation now and could become the #3 in time. Could mean Chuck James is headed elsewhere in a package if there are any takers, which I don't really mind. Scouting reports on Hernandez are very positive and having a speed threat in the lineup a few years from now certainly couldn't hurt.

Definitely not a bad trade from Detroit's perspective either, Edgar still has quite a bit left in the tank at a reasonable price tag.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty disappointed as a Braves fan. Can we atleast spend the difference on SP.

Probable starters for next year.

1b-Tex
2b-Johnson
SS-Escobar
3b-Jones
RF-Diaz
CF-Francouer
LF-?

SP-Hudson
SP-Smoltz
SP-?
SP-?
SP-?

RP-Gonzalez?
RP-Moylan
RP-Mahay
RP-Acosta

Closer-Soriano

Big needs 3-5 starter? Will Hampton be back and can he pitch. James, Reyes fill any voids? I'd prefer more proven guys personally. I'd like a speedy guy in LF/RF (whichever Diaz doesn't play). I don't think Willie can handle a full season as proved by his Aug/Sep performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know the Braves got a starting pitcher in this deal, right?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty disappointed as a Braves fan. Can we atleast spend the difference on SP.

Probable starters for next year.

SP-Hudson
SP-Smoltz
SP-?
SP-?
SP-?

[/ QUOTE ]
You do know the Braves got a starting pitcher in this deal, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with what, 7 starts past the AA level? You can't really pencil him into the rotation yet.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 PM

We had James, Reyes, etc. last year start doesn't mean they were any good. Hudson and Smoltz were so much better than the rest it was insane. It was almost like 2 different teams between the top 2 starters and the rest. We don't even need great starters, just someone who can fill innings and not totally suck. I personally don't want Glavine back, but any average starter with our O should be fine.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Chuck James has an ERA of 4 in nearly 300 innings. The real drop came after the top 3. Signing an average starter would give the Braves one of the best rotation in the league, especially if one of Jojo, Jair, and the field can break out.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, with what, 7 starts past the AA level? You can't really pencil him into the rotation yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, you can pencil him into the rotation right now. Smoltz, Hudson, James, Reyes, and Jurrjens is not a bad rotation. You probably sign Glavine and let either Reyes or Jurrjens rotate between AAA and the sixth starter, but it's not a glaring need. Joey Devine should become a fixture in the bullpen starting this year. There is also plenty of potential help on the farm as the Braves have one of the deepest farm systems out there.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 PM

On the Smoltz/Alexander thing, not the most knowledgable about it since I was 4 or so at the time, but in defense of it:

The Tigers were in contention for the playoffs and wanted to win then. He pitched very well and got them into the playoffs. Obviously if they knew what Smoltz was it wouldn't be worth it, but he was still a prospect then right? He obviously had a lot of potential but there's a substantially greater number of young pitchers with great potential that wind up very good or better, so it's not on it's face an absurd trade.