Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread: Reclaiming the NL East

[ QUOTE ]
1)I don't hate the Mets as much as the Phillies so I want to pound them & keep them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised by this. Is this how most Braves' fans feel?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 AM

chipper named his son shea

you guys love us :P
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1)I don't hate the Mets as much as the Phillies so I want to pound them & keep them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised by this. Is this how most Braves' fans feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, a lot of Braves fans really hate the Mets I just happened to not really hate any of their players right now like I don't like most of the Phillies players.

I can't think of anyone on the Mets I dislike this year, helps to have players I like, like Pedro, Glavine.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"-- There are rumors that Liberty Media, which now owns the Braves, will mandate a deep cut in this year's $89 million payroll. That could be difficult since the club is already committed to John Smoltz ($14 million), Tim Hudson ($13 million), Chipper Jones ($12.3 million) and Mike Hampton ($15 million) in 2008 and also needs to sign Mark Teixeira to a long-term deal to justify trading top prospect Jarrod Saltalamachia to get him."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2007, 01:53 PM

^^ Pretty much the nail in the coffin for Druw's hopes of resigning with Atlanta. But the way his laziness eroded his hitting skills, and weight gain and injuries hurting his range in the outfield it's no surprise.

It sucks that LM is cutting payroll. There were rumors ealier in the season that payroll was to be increased next season by 10 million or so. LM admitted when they bought the team it was for tax purposes only, but I held out hope they would actually wanted a contendiing team and do what it takes to make it so.

Next year's team has potential. Hudson, Smoltz, Hampton(maybe), Bennett, James, and Reyes in the rotation. Soriano and Dotel closing. Moylan is good but need to improve the rest of the bullpen.

Plenty of power and better overall batting average w/o Druw. Outfield defense might fall off but not by much.

Will need to restock the bench as Diaz will probably become a starter, maybe Harris too.

The biggest need is for soild #3 and #4 pitchers. James was a disappointment and Atl never really had anyone behind him. Hopefully he comes into his own in his 3rd season.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"-- There are rumors that Liberty Media, which now owns the Braves, will mandate a deep cut in this year's $89 million payroll. That could be difficult since the club is already committed to John Smoltz ($14 million), Tim Hudson ($13 million), Chipper Jones ($12.3 million) and Mike Hampton ($15 million) in 2008 and also needs to sign Mark Teixeira to a long-term deal to justify trading top prospect Jarrod Saltalamachia to get him."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is from Richmond's paper right? And it's untrue. It was stipulated in the sale of the team that they must keep payroll at least at the level it was at the time of the sale.

http://www.savannahnow.com/node/286775

The deal was contingent on Liberty leaving the current Braves leadership in place and agreeing not to cut the current player payroll of about $80 million. And the total salary figure could well increase, as the deal gives Braves president Terry McGuirk at least some leeway to spend more.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnis...n_bullpens.html
Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnis...n_bullpens.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this article's source was an article in the Richmond paper as the writing seems very familiar. I don't know where the guy got his information, but as the article I posted states, payroll can not decrease from the time of the sale. Maybe that's changed, but I sure hope not.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM

love the braves offense since texiera was acquired. really liked how reyes looked in his last start. if hampton comes back strong next year i like the Braves' chances
Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM

hey guys, u mind helping us out?? we suck and need all the help we can get