Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Came Across an Interesting Book...

[ QUOTE ]
i clicked that link and i gotta say that website just screams scientific rigor

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I didn't like the graphics either but I did see Bullinger's name in the teeny tiny print way down at the bottom of the homepage.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM

<font color="blue"> Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? </font>

Even I woudn't say the bible (OT) is a hoax. It's a literary masterpiece. It's just that there isn't an ounce of truth to it.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM

I hear the 8 track player is gonna make a comeback. Why am I getting the urge to sell you a truckload of them at a great price?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear the 8 track player is gonna make a comeback. Why am I getting the urge to sell you a truckload of them at a great price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since you're soon to be one of the most biblically knowledgable atheists in the world you can thank me in heaven if you manage to act on scripture enough to get there. I hear heaven is wired for surround sound so I pass on your most generous offer to provide me with 8 track tapes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Or I'll even lower the bar: Please explain what "some kind of biblical geometry" even means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi = 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 Chronicles 4:2 "Also he [Solomon] made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

Score one significant figure for God, good enough for government work amirite?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Or I'll even lower the bar: Please explain what "some kind of biblical geometry" even means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi = 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 Chronicles 4:2 "Also he [Solomon] made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that God's version of a geometry proof? Sounds a little bit like a land assessor calculating lot dimensions.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi = 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that God's version of a geometry proof? Sounds a little bit like a land assessor calculating lot dimensions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that if a cylindrical vat is 10 cubits across, it'll be 31.4 cubits around. Does it trouble you that the creator of the universe would make such a simple mistake?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? </font>

Even I woudn't say the bible (OT) is a hoax. It's a literary masterpiece. It's just that there isn't an ounce of truth to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its amazing that some people like spendid who are so credulous about some of the nonsense in the bible and the book in the op suddenly become skeptical about anything that doesn't suit them.

Though I doubt the bible is a hoax (bits of it may me). The alternative to hoax is not ID.

chez
Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi = 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that if a cylindrical vat is 10 cubits across, it'll be 31.4 cubits around. Does it trouble you that the creator of the universe would make such a simple mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Nitpicking will get you nowhere. I find him in the sweep of things. But if you want to be anal. Take a look at an ant. One of the tiniest of creatures but God made it the mightiest since it can carry more than 3 times its own weight something even an elephant can't do.
Read the book of Job. See God's reply. When you can do what God does then you can question him, but not until then. Until then you just pray for guidance.

Here's my favorite Christian joke:

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. So they picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him.

The scientist walked up to God and said, "God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost."

God listened very patiently and kindly to the man. After the scientist was done talking, God said, "Very well, how about this?

Let's say we have a man-making contest." To which the scientist replied, "Okay, great!"

But God added, "Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam."

The scientist said, "Sure, no problem" and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt.

God looked at him and said, "No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!"
Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not. Nitpicking will get you nowhere. I find him in the sweep of things. But if you want to be anal. Take a look at an ant. One of the tiniest of creatures but God made it the mightiest since it can carry more than 3 times its own weight something even an elephant can't do.
Read the book of Job. See God's reply. When you can do what God does then you can question him, but not until then. Until then you just pray for guidance.

Here's my favorite Christian joke:

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. So they picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him.

The scientist walked up to God and said, "God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost."

God listened very patiently and kindly to the man. After the scientist was done talking, God said, "Very well, how about this?

Let's say we have a man-making contest." To which the scientist replied, "Okay, great!"

But God added, "Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam."

The scientist said, "Sure, no problem" and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt.

God looked at him and said, "No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!"

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of you even posting stuff like this? Like why bother?

Also, doesn't being arrogant and judgmental go against the principles of Christianity that you claim to affirm?