Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Front vs. Back Squats, injury prevention, etc

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1276773

I just found this article on t-nation that discusses a few exercise choices that will reduce weight-room injuries. In it, he specifically mentions that front squats are harder to do with poor form, and will cause fewer back injuries due to the more upright posture. Thoughts?

I've only done them a few times, but it was much easier to have an upright posture and "sit back" than with back squats.

It also recommends ditching conventional deadlifts, but I think for non-powerlifters there might be less of a concern. Powerlifters will do the lift in competition with a rounded back trying to make a record pull, whereas people just trying to get stronger and not compete don't have any pressure to use a round-back form.

I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted? I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

I also have a flexibility imbalance in my shoulders, the left being less flexible. I can scratch my mid-upper back pretty good with my right, but I can barely get my left hand to face my back. I'd like to get this taken care of before I start back up again on my program.