Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Too loose of a call down?

I seem to remember this guy being an aggressive stealer, so I opted to call him down. I figured he would be betting this board on every street prior to the river almost 100% of the time regardless of hole cards, and spades were dead so I wasn't concerned about the possibility of a flush. On the river, I felt that he would check most one pair hands, which made it somewhat more likely that he was bluffing. Still, is this too loose?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.50 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.25 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.25 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.25 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (8.25 BB)
Old 06-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Too loose of a call down?

IMO, yeah, it probably is. I don't mind the call on 3rd or maybe even a raise since you have some sort of read on the guy. But, I'd probably give up by 5th since he has a scary board (several spades are still out) & hasn't taken his foot off the gas and all you caught were bricks. Give him credit for a hand or the balls to bluff the whole way.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Yes, too loose.

I might bail 3rd if I am "tight" mode. 4th is okay if you call 3rd.

I'd bail on 5th, and especially 6th.

No way I call the river here with less than 2 pair unless I have seen villain go wide open throttle like this and show down with less than a premium pair.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:48 PM

sometimes getting in the habit of "ehh hes loose i call" is a bad habit to get into, i almost always would rather raise 4th and make the hand 10x easier to play.. if he 3-bets you can easily fold 5th.. b/c as played i muck 5th anyways as you're likely behind or will be outdrawn.

dont be afraid to play back at aggressive guys b/c you make his life and his playing style a whole lot easier when you go into call-down mode b/c you allow him to get there.. and when a guy like this is running good it can be a long day.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:59 PM

My plan was to wait for 5th to raise, but decided it was a bit too dangerous once he caught the third spade, as he may be committed to going the river anyways.

For what it's worth, I basically never call down this light.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My plan was to wait for 5th to raise, but decided it was a bit too dangerous once he caught the third spade, as he may be committed to going the river anyways.

For what it's worth, I basically never call down this light.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fine plan if he rags 5th. As it was he didn't rag, and you caught a dead jack, which turns it into a 5th st. fold. I would call him down if you had caught a live card on 5th.

Carlos
Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Yeah, it's a bit loose. However, I have read through some of your other posts on here and you seem like a very competent player. This is the kind of hand that might be able to set you up down an hour later into your session. Think about it, Seat 4 may well have raised with suited split Aces or maybe KKA with the AK suited in spades. At showdown he might be thinking, OMG, what was that guy thinking by calling me down. Next time you're both heads up, he might be prone to calling you down light on a bigger pot.

AC

ps...sorry, I saw this was Stud High...I just fixed my post. This is the 2nd time I've done this to you...sorry.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's a bit loose. However, I have read through some of your other posts on here and you seem like a very competent player. This is the kind of hand that might be able to set you up down an hour later into your session. Think about it, Seat 4 raise with either split Aces or an Ace with 2 low cards (most likely the case IMO). He seems to have a lock on the low with a flush draw and he's probably free rolling you. At showdown he might be thinking, OMG, what was that guy thinking calling me down. Next time you're both heads up, he might be prone to calling you down light on a bigger pot.

AC

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stud high.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 PM

My gut is if you're playing this like he was stealing, raise 4th unless he's aggro enough to rep the 4-flush and reraise in which case just bail.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Carlos has a good point -- when you call on third you're planning to decide what to do based on how the cards fall. In this hand, they didn't fall well for you, so it's a fold. I think raising fifth when you do catch good (and/or he bricks) is a fine plan.