Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 AM

Default My Story - FezioJnr

Hey guys,

I’m fairly new here so thought I’d introduce myself and explain my story. I'm a 20 year old student from England. I’ve studied for 2 years (BSc Multimedia Computing) and am currently doing a placement, working for eBay in Dublin, Ireland as an IT Intern.

I started playing online when I was 16; I managed to win a few MTT for $1.5k and $3k under my dad’s name, however had no concept of bankroll management and jumped into the $100 STT. I did fairly well if I’m honest and got into the routine of building up a few hundred and cashing out and so on.

When I started university I basically killed my bankroll, I cashed out all of it and bought a car and a laptop, however these were very important for me. It didn’t really bother me as that’s what I preferred at the time and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Since working for eBay I’ve been working hard to gain industrial experience in my field. I’ve also spent some time reading about poker online in my breaks and when I’m bored. It's only now I’m realizing although I have played for 4 years I knew pretty much nothing about the game. I think I’ve learnt more in the past month reading, without playing any poker than I have in 4 years of playing online. Mainly reading on here, watching interviews with online pros, reading strategy written by the online pros etc...

With this in mind I’m going to try and play poker online again about once a week if I can. My education is my priority; I’d never give that up for anything, even with a big score in poker. I also have a long term girlfriend so don’t really get much time to play. But as I say I’d love to start playing steady poker again. Also landing a job with eBay was amazing for me; hopefully it'll enhance my employability ten fold when I graduate in 2009.

Anyway...I've uploaded $80 to my stars account. I know this isn’t much of a roll. But I’m looking to score a win with that to build. Thinking of playing the $4/180 on starts, believe I can cash enough to build. I know this isn’t appropriate bankroll etiquette but $80 is all I’m willing to invest and I feel I’m a good enough player to score at least 1 victory in 20 $4/180.

I was also looking for some sort of mentor, someone to seek advice from. Or shall I just post here?

Sorry for this "needless" story and I hope I don’t get flamed. Just thought I’d introduce myself. I wont be a high volume player, however when I do play I’ll be very determined and fresh as well as enthusiastic.

Thanks for reading guys.

Kindest Regards

Tom
Old 11-22-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Re: My Story - FezioJnr

Tom, post hands that you feel or tough or you could have played better in SSMTT. You will receive some questionable advice at times and will have to take some things with a pinch of salt - but at the same time there are some very good posters there like Sherman who provide detailed and useful analytic feedback.

Also, while it won't help your online roll, don't forget that you are currently living in a great city for live poker!! I'm from Dublin and can tell you that you will find some surprisingly good live tournament stuctures in the four cardclubs at a relatively inexpensive price. And the standard is very, very beatable.

Good luck!!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 AM

Hey Lloyd,

Interesting. Could you just post a list of the ones you advise?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Lloyd,

Interesting. Could you just post a list of the ones you advise?

Thanks

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Live tournaments?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Live tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Please...
Old 11-22-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Live tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Please...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sporting Emporium on South Annes street have a €100 + 10 FO every Monday which is decent:

7500 starting stack

25 / 50 / 20 mins
50 / 100
75 / 150
100 / 200
150 / 300
150 / 300 / 25 / 25 mins
200 / 400 / 25
300 / 600 / 50
400 / 800 / 50
500 / 1000 / 100
600 / 1200 / 100
800 / 1600 / 200 / 30 mins

etc, etc to finish.

Generally 35 - 50 runners. 20.45 start. Finish 3am - 4am.

They have a great monthly game on the first saturday of every month. €200 + 20 with the same above structure and 8000 starting chips. Except the clock begins at 30 mins; moves to 40 mins with the introduction of the antes - and has levels rolled back at the final table. Begins at 6pm and is a 12 hour marathon. And probably has the toughest field of a regularly scheduled Dublin tournament (which doesn't meana whole lot). On this Saturday as part of the club's November festival. Generally gets 60 - 80 runners.

------------------------------------------------------------

What should be within your budget as a workie is Cool Hand Luke's Tuesday Scalps game:

€50 + 5 + 20 scalp. 8000 chips. 30 min clock all night.

25 / 50
50 / 100
75 / 150
100 / 200
150 / 300
200 / 400 / 25
300 / 600 / 50
400 / 800 / 50
500 / 1000 / 100
800 / 1500 / 100
1000 / 2000 / 200

etc, etc. Generally gets 25 - 40 runners. 9pm start. 4am - 5am finish.

If these finish times are sounding too late for you then play Cool Hand Luke's Friday night €100 + 10 FO. Same structure as above, 30 min clock all night. 8500 starting chips and 40 - 70 runners. A very, very good game.

Cool Hand Luke's is situated on Merrion Square right beside the FAI office.

Both clubs require ID to sign up (18+); have nice interiors; excellent dealers; nice chips, chairs and tables; and very friendly and competent floor staff.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to go even cheaper I can point you in the direction of some €20 - €50 FO's. Bear in mind though that thes games do not allow a huge amount of play and may be self deal - i.e. they exemplify the worst aspects of live poker.

I seriously say that the CHL Friday night game is a great place to start.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:11 AM

Thank you very much lloyd. Really do appreciate it. I may attend one of these in the near future.

Thanks again sir!

Kindest Regards

Tom
Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 AM

OMG best structures for a low buy-in tourney ever
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Agreed, take your time building your bankroll. It does not seem that important in your life as you have a lot of other good things going on other than poker. I would suggest that if you are interested in playing the 4$ on stars that maybe play one a day to cool down from school, girlfriend, and work. Do that for a couple of weeks and see where you end up. In addition play those live tourneys because those are ridiculous structures and cake money if you can stay up!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Welcome back to poker and to these forums Tom. As always, I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy 2p2 here!

Now, I'm going to be a little rough here. I think playing the $4 180s with your one time limited deposit of $80 is sort of silly. Sure, you can run good and deep in one of these and cash 1st and have your bankroll on the way, but it is not very uncommon for the BEST of 4/180 players to go on cold streaks/downswings or variance of 10+ games, which if that happened to you, your roll would be gone. I would suggest grinding out the $3.25/45s on Stars to begin with. Then when you get to say $150, start throwing in a $4/180 hoping to get the win. I think the minimum anyone should be playing $4/180s from their variance with is $200. I'm sure there are people here who will disagree saying that it's possible to play with $80, but if you're playing on a one time limited deposit that you would not be interested in redepositing, I would try grinding out some smaller SNGs (maybe even the $1.75/18s) before the 4/180s.

Jeff