Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Tough Questions about Christianity

Here's one that's kinda old so it might not be relevant anymore:

"How do Christians, particularly a nutbar hollywood Christian, expect a snuff film to inspire faith in anyone?"
Old 11-04-2005, 04:19 AM

Here's one with some added context if you've seen the movie "Cool Hand Luke". It's raining and the chain gang are all running out of the rain and Luke stays in the rain and and the convict leader says "Get in here. Ain't ya scared? Ain't ya scared of dyin'?" and then Luke starts yelling at the sky "Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it."
Old 11-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Got another one. When(if) animals are show to have a "soul"(conciousness) what impact would that have on the xtain faith?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Tough Questions about Christianity *DELETED*

Post deleted by dknightx
Old 11-04-2005, 02:03 PM

1. What purpose would humanity serve for an omnipotent god? Is he so pathetic that he must create beings to follow his rules and worship him in order to satisfy himself? Must be lonely at the top.

2. Why must a powerful God necessarily be a good god? What evidence suggests such goodness? And don't say "we have life" because that life is not inherently good if it must be lived according to some list of rules to receive conditional benefits or eternal punishment.

3. Why do you teach silly concepts like "Son of God"? These silly anthromorphisms illustrate the absurdity of humans trying to make sense of the unknown using ignorant short-sighted perspective.

4. If such a God existed and even somehow had a son, what sacrifice would it be for an eternal, all-powerful "Son of God" to endure a few hours of torture knowing that the Kingdom of God is his? This is hardly much of a sacrifice.

5. Why the correlation between the decline in God's direct observable miracles and the rise in human knowledge? If God was so "jealous" of a silly Tower of Babel, he sure seems silent on interplanetary travel, atomic weaponry, and other human accomplishments. Maybe this decline has something to do with a lot of events that would otherwise seem "miraculous" or divine 4000 years ago, no longer seem so with today's knowledge? Hmmmm.

6. If a god really did exist, would he be more likely to reward you or punish you for believing the Bible is true? It would seem that an omniscient God might not value ignorant faith as such a virtue.

7. Do dogs go to heaven? If not, then every argument about the meaningless of human life without a God goes right out the window!

8. Do dogs sin? If not, then every argument about the absolute morality based on God's laws should also go out the window.

9. Shouldn't those who procalim themselves as the "chosen people" be met with a considerable amount of skepticism as they clearly have a vested interest in spreading their beliefs?

10. Lastly, how could people be so ignorant as to believe the silliness of western mythology (Judeo-Christian teachings) while at the same time scorn the silliness of other forms of mythology and mysticism?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:31 PM

I love when someone attempts to argue a position using such words as the following: Pathetic,Silly, silly,short-sighted,Hmmmm,silliness.

Btw, is this Platonic thinking or is it Aristotelian? It is a new way of thinking for me, so I am not sure.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love when someone attempts to argue a position using such words as the following: Pathetic,Silly, silly,short-sighted,Hmmmm,silliness.

Btw, is this Platonic thinking or is it Aristotelian? It is a new way of thinking for me, so I am not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a good point. Atheists/Agnostics are quick to condemn Christians for circular logic... that is, making an argument about something while assuming that something is true in the argument...but they themselves are often guilty of it too!

For #10, he asks someone how they can believe the silliness of one religion but dismiss the silliness of another. No devout person considers his own beliefs to be "silliness," and if they did, there would be no argument here.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For #10, he asks someone how they can believe the silliness of one religion but dismiss the silliness of another. No devout person considers his own beliefs to be "silliness," and if they did, there would be no argument here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've missed the point. He asks how can a devout believer of one religion dismiss as silly, for example, another devout religious man's belief that the Universe was shat out by a cosmic cow, while simultaneously dismissing the sillyness of his own belief that Man was molded from dirt, Woman from his rib, and that a talking snake tricked them into damning all Mankind for eating a piece of fruit.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've missed the point. He asks how can a devout believer of one religion dismiss as silly, for example, another devout religious man's belief that the Universe was shat out by a cosmic cow, while simultaneously dismissing the sillyness of his own belief that Man was molded from dirt, Woman from his rib, and that a talking snake tricked them into damning all Mankind for eating a piece of fruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you got all that from #10? I better go study some more theology.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:33 PM

So how about some answers?