Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Default LC - My plan for moving up (recommendations welcome)

So, STT community, you have finally provided me with a game i can beat. I struggle for more than a year with 25NL/50NL, but in the course of 2 weeks i more than doubled my BR playing 6.50's, and now i'm planning on making this my full-time game. I have about a 21% ROI over ~550 6.5s not counting rakeback and bonuses (bonii?), and I'm now way over rolled for this level.

I've come up with a plan for moving up and I'd really appreciate any advice from those who have done it before. I own PT and PAHUD from my cash days, but don't have SNGPT or SNGWIZ or tourney manager or any softward specific to SnGs. I plan on buying either SNGPT or SNGWiz, and experimenting with it for the remainder of this month while i keep playing the 6.50's.

By the end of the month, I will have played enough games at the 6.5's to be absolutely sure i'm a winning player, i will be a better ICM pushbot, and will have made some adjustments to my game, and will move up to the 11's. I don't want to try to make the ICM changes to my game while i move up, i'd like to do it before i move up, so I'm don't have to worry about changing my strategy for a new level.

I've heard SNGWiz has a few more capabilities than SNGPT, so i'm leaning towards it. Plus it has a free trial [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But it does cost more. How do you think SNGPT and SNGWiz stack up? How about other things like tourney manager, bubble trainer, etc.?

I've been told the play from one level to the next isn't incredibly different, just small increments, so i shouldn't change my game at all. 11's should be marginally harder than 6.5's, but not super noticable, confirm/deny? Any other advice from people smarter than me? I'm definitely willing to listen because SnG's are still very much new for me.

Also, mandatory funny pic for LC thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: LC - My plan for moving up (recommendations welcome)

You can have my place at the 16s. I moved to NL cash where I can actually make some money for a change.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM

Here's the software review thread that convinced me to get sngwiz. I like viewing situations with graphs to see how hand ranges change, and also the quiz mode is pretty good and is basically the same as bubble trainer.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM

If you are talking about PokerStars switching to regular instead of Turbo's just warn you they are very long, and while you can still be very profitable in them it might cut into your $/hr.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are talking about PokerStars switching to regular instead of Turbo's just warn you they are very long, and while you can still be very profitable in them it might cut into your $/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play on FT, and no, i'm sticking to turbos. Every now and then i accidentally open a regular and don't realize it in time and i get stuck playing one game waaaaay longer than the rest. i end up tilt pushing K8 with 30 BB's just to get out of the damn game.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Note that on FT there are only 12$ turbos if they didn't change it since banning me.
I'd recommend to have at least 600$ to play them.
You're gonna be fine normally, just because there are still very few regs, and even fewer good ones.
Also, I'd buy Wiz if I was you, I love this programm.
The level differences between 6.5 and 12 will mostly be the higher presence of some regulars obviously, the donks will stay generally the same stupid guys.
Yeah, what to say else.. just don't wait too long to move up, it's just a waste of money.
Post hands, review sessions with your new bought wiz, comment on hands of others and you're gonna be totally fine.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Me, I only have SNGPT, not Wiz.
I did not know that Wiz is more expensive, so I guess that'd lean you towards SNGPT. Also, the tutorials that come with SNGPT are really good.

That said, though, from what I hear about Wiz, you still should get this one. It seems to be way more flexible and powerful.

As for TM, it's not really something you need to prioritize. To me, it's mostly a fun application. I'm a statistics and graphs freak.

As for moving up, I generally think people's recommendations on bankroll requirements are too strict, you can always move down again, right?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note that on FT there are only 12$ turbos if they didn't change it since banning me.
I'd recommend to have at least 600$ to play them.
You're gonna be fine normally, just because there are still very few regs, and even fewer good ones.
Also, I'd buy Wiz if I was you, I love this programm.
The level differences between 6.5 and 12 will mostly be the higher presence of some regulars obviously, the donks will stay generally the same stupid guys.
Yeah, what to say else.. just don't wait too long to move up, it's just a waste of money.
Post hands, review sessions with your new bought wiz, comment on hands of others and you'll gonna be totally fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

appreciate the advice sence. I guess when i say 11's i mean 11+1s, which are also 12's. confusing because the 10+1s are elevens. argh. but you get the idea, im playing the turbo ones.

I'm going to easily have twice what i need for the 12s as far as BR i think. I do want to wait a little bit so i'm not implementing SNGWiz changes right away. I've been a breakeven player long enough that i can wait and play the 6.50s for a week or two longer.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 AM

Yeah, STT have really dried up now that everyone's on a program.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, STT have really dried up now that everyone's on a program.

[/ QUOTE ]

potd