Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

[ QUOTE ]

Given your second statement I think its highly unlikely that you ever played on a baseball field past the H.S. level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. This is funny.
Also...LOL at the idea that pitchers are going to spend so much time during their 4 off-days between starts working on their hitting.
WTF?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
darko, did you ever play college baseball? College coaches DO worry about injuring a stud pitcher. It's ridiculous that you're even arguing that they don't. A pitcher playing the field puts more strain on the arm, and there is ALWAYS a chance for a fluke injury.

Given your second statement I think its highly unlikely that you ever played on a baseball field past the H.S. level. Pitchers go in a cycle based on when they are expected to pitch against live hitting, whether that be in an actual game or simply a simulated game with teammates. Sure on the 1 day out of 5 you are pitching in a game you will not have a chance to hone your skills at the plate. The other 4 days there is PLENTY of time to work on your hitting if one was so inclined. I'll go in to more detail if you really don't believe me, but anybody who has played at that level should realize that there is PLENTY of time for a pitcher to work on his hitting.

I agree with the majority of your second paragraph. Most pitchers are very good athletes and have great muscle memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good stuff. No need to even respond.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every NL farm team uses the DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't 100% correct.
The last I knew, when AA or AAA NL farm-clubs played each other they would not use the DH. So these pitchers did actually get some real live-work at the plate.

And a lot of the AL big-league pitchers played for an NL MLB or AA or AAA team sometime in their careers.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY think a LOT of people don't understand how much more amazing a top fast-ball or curve-ball looks when seen live and up-close.
Seeing it on TV always makes it look far easier to hit than it really is.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM

Bob is correct, AAA pitchers hit.

[ QUOTE ]
I REALLY REALLY REALLY think a LOT of people don't understand how much more amazing a top fast-ball or curve-ball looks when seen live and up-close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is so true. The angle and the late life to the fastball is so much different and the off-speed pitches are breaking late and breaking while in the zone; short, quick, late break...so tough on hitters. An average Joe would be dominated.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Spence,

In case you don't quite get why everyone is laughing at you: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11007558
Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Given your second statement I think its highly unlikely that you ever played on a baseball field past the H.S. level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. This is funny.
Also...LOL at the idea that pitchers are going to spend so much time during their 4 off-days between starts working on their hitting.
WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]
nevermind .... tdarko, what league is it and who is the affiliate for your team?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nevermind .... tdarko, what league is it and who is the affiliate for your team?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember, the video shows the goon from the AC Surf attacking TDarko of the New Haven Cutters. This is the CANAM League which is an Independent League not affiliated with the majors.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Not sure tdarko wants me stepping in here but it says so directly on the video itself so I don't think it's a huge secret.

The anchor says it's the Can-Am League. He is also talking about the A.C. Surf which is the Atlantic City Surf but I think that's the team TDarko is playing against in that video.

It is an independent league meaning that none of the players or teams are affiliated with anyone in major-league baseball.

I did radio in that league for one season in 2002 for a now defunct team.
Probably roughly AA-caliber baseball of a lot of guys who are mostly too old to be considered valuable prospects in a big-league organization anymore.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
darko, did you ever play college baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahhaha
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Wow, thanks for linking to that thread. tdarko you are definitively awesome. Not only for the great trip report and video, but also for the spectacular display of honor, class, and humility throughout the rest of your posts in that thread. Mad kudos.