Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 10-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Running a complete bluff on the flop, 150 BB deep (NL100)

Ok. I have never played with this villain until today. He plays kind of taggy, but really weird postflop. My note from earlier in the session at the same table says "c/r A62r flop 3way as pfr, fold to 3bet (fr100)." I had bet out 44 right behind him for $10 in that spot and got called by the button and then he c/r to $25 and folded to a raise to $55 from the btn. This is a spot where I am very successful at picking up pots in general and thats why I bet the flop. What do you guys think about this bluff? If he just calls then what should I do if he checks a blank turn? Turn K? Turn A? Please answer these last few questions too.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($298.15)
MP3 ($58.50)
CO ($84.50)
Button ($167.10)
SB ($99)
BB ($75.10)
UTG ($153.10)
Hero ($207.05)
MP1 ($100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($9.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $14</font>, Hero raises to $40 (thoughts on sizing? I thought it set up a $55-60 turn bet well)
Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Running a complete bluff on the flop, 150 BB deep (NL100)

bump...I thought this hand would be interesting because it is a lot different than 99% of hands posted here. No thoughts?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 PM

As villain, I'm willing to stack off here with as little as TPTK, but I am a fish.

As hero, if he calls the bet I figure he's committed and give it up, but I'm weak-tight.

Yeah, I suck.

You're repping a very small range. I'd like to know more about villain before I tried this. (That is, is he a good TAG who can make the fold, or a TAGfish (like me) who will go all the way with AA or AK). I know you've seen him fold before, but you really don't know much about what his stack-off range is.

Its worth a shot, but I don't think its great.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 PM

I don't like it. If the K was a T and I had KQ then maybe...

If he calls give up unless you think he can fold AK to a push.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM

What have been your hands at showdown? Does he pay attention?

Since he's already given up in a 3bet pot before, I think he's more likely to look you up with TP type hands due to tilt/frustration. Some players react the otherway and get a little fold happy. If he's the latter and thinks stars is out to get him, sure it might work, but I would be less likely to try it against a 150bb stack.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM

UTG PFR'er checks a Kxx dry flop, when 2nd to act, then min c/r's is a bit suspicious/weird. I suppose he could be playing AK tricky, but this kind of flop is usually an auto cbet multiway for any Taggy style of player, with that hand. Same goes for AA. So he probably has KK or some other underpair to the king and he is trying to make you go away cheaply like in the hand before. If he calls the flop 3 bet just make sure you hit your 2 on the turn and your good to go.

But seriously, I don't normally make this play. Especially against unknowns. I make it from time to time against regs, and usually on all low card rainbow flops. Now he has 3 different set possibilities to worry and often has just missed overs. The Kxx flop I probably wouldn't do this b/c getting an unknown off AK can be difficult and sometimes even QQ or JJ. You are going to need to fire another big barrel without much potential of improving. Conversely, if you have 56 here, this play looks much better to me.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM

as a general rule I would think that a guy who gets caught bluffing using a strange line would not use the same line to bluff with again at the same table against a guy who was involved in the previous pot
Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump...I thought this hand would be interesting because it is a lot different than 99% of hands posted here. No thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, it's different. But it's kinda hard to give good advice on a hand that's totally based on a specific player read.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM

Another problem is, I don't think vs an obersvant oponent you can really rep a set here to get him off AK or AA. 1500bb deep w/ a set here you are often just calling his flop c/r.