Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Are ANY two cards mathematically playable with huge pot odds?

I was in a hand tonight playing live that is kinda the same thing, except i was up 600 dollars and elected to fold because i was about to leave n didnt wanna get trapped in a pot, but would of won alOt, heres the hand....
I was in the BB in a 5-5 game with about 1k in front of me. Sum 1 straddles to 10, and EVERYONE except one person calls, now its 5 dollars to me with J6 off, and im fairly certain the straddler isnt gonna raise, i elect to fold, get up from the table and cash out. Turns out the flop comes J 6 5 rainbow. one guy goes all in for 150 and one guy calls 150 and has about 100 behind so if i was inthe pot i woudla pushed him all in. Sum1 had J10 n one guy was open ended. Anyway the turn was a 6 n iwoulda won a big pot. If i was planning on staying at the table i would of def called the 5 dollars. Not really sure how this helps answer ur question, but it does point out that people make decisions at the table for all sorts of reasons, no just odds, implied odds and these typed of things, sumthing to think about
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 AM

Dude I'd never fold anything getting 19:1 on my money, holy crap! Especially basically closing action. You're obviously against total fish too who are probably going to stack off light.

If you were about to leave why post your BB?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 AM

i 100 percent agree with u strictlystrategy, and in ne other situaton i would have called. I was planning on cashing out and not posting but i am friends with the guys who run the game. Since i had ALOT of the money on the table, they asked if i could stay a few more rounds to appear like im still in the game and theyd pay my blinds if i folded no matter what. They knew 3 guys were on their way with pockets full of cash so they just wanted to keep the appearance of a big game so no one cashed out and left after me.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 AM

not trying to hijack this thread,but when playing in live games u should really focus on how people r with their money. meaning some people when they are up they get EXTREMLT tight and dont like to lose what theyve won, some people get VERY lose when they r up then u notice they tighten up when theve lost their winnings and playing with "their"money again, u can gain alot bye paying attention to these things
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 AM

yes as in the case where the players folded preflop in the huge jackpot hand on stars before. They added like 100k to a pot at like $10nl and so UTG and UTG+1 shove preflop and the dude on the button fold... He later claimed he would have won it as well...
Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 AM

Dude what game is this? I wouldn't walk away from that game if it meant my children had to die.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 AM

hahahaa yea you wouldnt believe the games that go on in NNJ, its mind blowing
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you find yourself in a situation where you only have to call $20 into a $480 pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
Blinds are say $75. You post your BB.

Short stack in early pos (who just got almost broke), pushes in. Some mid players creep in, late pos, and the SB, leaving you with 5 opponents and it's $20 to you to call.

5 x 95 = 475

You posted 75, and can call $20 to win $475.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. Therefore, if you are last to act and everyone else at your table shoves on the first hand of an MTT, you should shove also. You have good pot odds and the pot is large.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as my game is concerned, I would almost certainly fold in this situation. Having 8 players knocked out on the first hand would probably benefit me more than the odds of me becoming the insane chip leader. It would also depend on the tourney. First hand of the Main Event, uh, no. First hand of a $5 online MTT, why not, I suppose.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 PM

As far as how to get a situation where you are getting an insane price to call, you often see it in games with an ante - either a limped pot on the small blind, or a small raise and multiple callers on the big blind.