Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Richard Feynman Vs. The Vatican

Pontifical Academy of Sciences

According to the webpage:

“Candidates for a seat in the Academy are chosen by the Academy on the basis of their eminent original scientific studies and of their acknowledged moral personality, without any ethnical or religious discrimination, and are appointed for life by sovereign act of the Holy Father. “

I wonder if Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein, Paul Dirac, Leo Szilard, Erwin Schrödinger, Linus Pauling, Niels Bohr, Enrico Fermi, Murray Gell-Mann, Max Planck, Werner Heisenberg, Josiah Willard Gibbs, James Clark Maxwell or perhaps even Galileo Galilee were every chosen?

The fact that the Vatican instituted a Science Academy illustrates the back fitting nature of this august institution. It could no longer ignore the advances in science so it makes a false facade to accept it into its organization thus finally giving science a theological legitimacy by this ancient; we know everything, Italian Mafioso. This is a very neat trick by the Vatican to abscond the mantle of science for religious purposes and to supposedly put it under the thumb of the church. Sort of like the neat trick with the Donation of Constantine - A blatant forgery – to propagate political and land domination and consolidate power. One thing that I have always admired about catholic institutions is how easy they lie, obfuscate, and deal in quackeries to bamboozle the credulous mob to remain powerful and influential.

-Zeno, The Antipope
Old 07-30-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Richard Feynman Vs. The Vatican

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very neat trick by the Vatican to abscond the mantle of science for religious purposes and to supposedly put it under the thumb of the church.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a fair assesment.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 AM

Are you claiming that Feynman had a flawless "moral personality?"
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein, Paul Dirac, Leo Szilard, Erwin Schrödinger, Linus Pauling, Niels Bohr, Enrico Fermi, Murray Gell-Mann, Max Planck, Werner Heisenberg, Josiah Willard Gibbs, James Clark Maxwell or perhaps even Galileo Galilee were every chosen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dirac, Schrödinger, Bohr, Planck and Heisenberg were members: maybe others on your list too. Galileo was the head of the first incarnation of the academy.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:51 AM

Methinks thou dost protest too much.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:39 PM

I don't know why you just don't become a Jesuit yourself. They seem right up your alley.

All should be familiar with Georges Lemaitre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

And I strongly recommend you consult your history texts to see which institution propelled the sciences in European history.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you claiming that Feynman had a flawless "moral personality?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No. “Moral personality” however has nothing to do with original scientific research, conceiving new concepts and/or theories, or producing profound original contributions in any given field of Science. The Vatican Mafioso adds this platitude to their requirements because as moralist they just can’t help themselves. It is a sign of weakness and error, if they take it seriously, which I sometimes doubt.

-Zeno, The Antipope
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Methinks thou dost protest too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. More to my point however was to needle my good friend Peter666. Also, I do have a grudging respect for the religious thuggery employed by the Vatican Mafioso. They are quite skilled in this arena, with a long, flagrant, and barbarous history that they have every right to be proud of.

-Zeno, The Antipope
Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 PM

You should thank me for giving you an excellent excuse to post about George Lemaitre. And you are welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you just don't become a Jesuit yourself. They seem right up your alley.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been a joiner, thanks for the thuggish compliment anyway. [Appetizer about Jesuits in China Jesuit Thugs Meet Civilization

[ QUOTE ]
And I strongly recommend you consult your history texts to see which institution propelled the sciences in European history.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the Royal Society, right? The Royal Society History

Also this book which I just finished reading a few months ago is very good: History of Western Science by John Gribbin.

The church had a monoploy on much of the educational system in Europe for many years so to address your point many "churchmen" made contributions to scientific acheviements. But science progressed all the more rapidly once the fetters were flung off from the church masters.

-Zeno, The Antipope
Old 08-01-2007, 02:14 AM

"The church had a monoploy on much of the educational system in Europe for many years so to address your point many "churchmen" made contributions to scientific acheviements. But science progressed all the more rapidly once the fetters were flung off from the church masters."

Well, I agree that the atomic bomb would not have been produced if the Church kept its fetters in place.