Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Chess books?

Any recommendations for the novice player. I don't need something so basic as describing the setup of the board, who goes first, the movement of the pieces, but I play poorly and would like to learn a little more about the game.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Chess books?

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess

There are also a lot of sites where you can watch chess greats play each other move by move. I've learned a great deal from watching those.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:46 PM

Everyman Chess has a serious called Starting Out with plenty of titles
Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM

I'll let others answer about books, but I would recommend a computer program like Chessmaster 2000 (or whatever the latest Chessmaster is called). The software includes tutorials from top players. Very good for learning intermediate and advanced strategy. You can also play the computer at various computer skill levels.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 PM

ok u want a book,just buy :
reasses your chess by silman
. probably one of the best beginner book ever written.

then u can by : my system by nimzovitch

after u know those 2 by heart(and believe me,there is so much stuff to learn there u will need to read them more then once) just by for opening purpose so u wont get lost in 100 variations but will know the general idea in evry opening : pawn structure chess by andrew soltis.

with those 3 books u will be a easily strong chess player and for last by a endgame book,probably :
endgamne strategy by mikhayl shereshevsky

but in reasses your chess they suggest books anyway

good (hard...)read

ps: btw ,trust me by those ......!!!!!
i know what im talking about,i quit chess for poker o0.....
Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 PM

I was competetive player in my U-18 days.
I believe tactics is almost everything in chess and you should focus 90% of your study time on it. Probably the best idea is to get some software with tactical excersises (software is fun because you just make moves and the computer prepares test for you/remembers what you already solved etc).

I think "my system" should be skipped (haha I know its a heresy for old timers). Books like that focus on things which are not that important in that game.

So basically my reccomendations are :
-software with tactical excersises
-collection of games of good players
-some BASIC books about openings

EDIT : "Endgame strategy" by Shereshevsky is simply amazing book. Its probably the most useful/best writen strategy book ever. I am not sure if its in print now (I lost my copy long time ago and I would love to buy it too).

Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM

punter,i dont know what level u reach in your yougner years but i did pretty well b4....
if u read pawn structure chess,then you ll never need an opening chess book(since all the variation u learn in any "regular opening chess book" library sell change each 6 month, and can even be obsolete...),as for tactics,yes it s usefull but in reasses your chess is a most...and any book they suggest is probably almost the best there is(tactics included).
collection of good player is worthless if u dont even have an idea why they play any move if u dont have a position concept in chess(wich my system offers..)
anyway OP,u have suggestion u choose...

and one of the biggest similarities with chess and poker......position,position,position is very important!!!!

proof of it...any good player(wich u will learn while u gte better)will gladly give a pwn for superior agressif position in chess

an example u will learn....giving a pawn to control the 7th rank with a rook etc...u need more then tactics ,trust me...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
punter,i dont know what level u reach in your yougner years but i did pretty well b4....

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped at 2300 ELO so nothing special.

[ QUOTE ]
if u read pawn structure chess,then you ll never need an opening chess book(since all the variation u learn in any "regular opening chess book" library sell change each 6 month, and can even be obsolete...),

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply wrong. Chess is not that simple and opening preparation (and I mean learning/preparing conrete moves not ideas) is very important once you reach certain level.

[ QUOTE ]
(tactics included).

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not enough. You need to do 1000's of excercises to ahve any clue and without you will suck no matter how good "strategical understanding" you have.

[ QUOTE ]
an example u will learn....giving a pawn to control the 7th rank with a rook etc...u need more then tactics ,trust me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont repeat "trust me" you act as you posses some secret knowledge which is not given to other readers of this thread which to be honest sound pretty stupid [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (no insult please).
Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 PM

"(and I mean learning/preparing conrete moves not ideas) is very important once you reach certain level."

yo man that statement requieres an opponent of at least 1900 easy.....if that guy were facing that strong of opponent i would agree with u,but if he was,he wouldnt of ask wich book he would need to read...opening ideas are way more important then specifc opening moves in the 1400-1900 range common!!!!!!
unless he plays some crazy king gambit or poisened pwn variation for black in sicilian wich i serioulsy doubt...

yeah yeah tactics...i mean this aint blitz,but in real game u win games with positional advantage, especially in endgames,how many time i suffer some -+ trought a game with a little lack of opening preperation , mid game and end game comes and ure back because the guy just knows tactics..zzzzzz

for last,the trust me was for:....yeah im right just tell me better books to send him on the right path..
the book i said ARE in the best categories to learn the right way...prove me wrong....

and your comment about:"-some BASIC books about openings"

u still have no suggestion..and pwn structure is so good since once u know this book(if u red it??),it all comes down to the same (around 10?)scheme of what plan u need to attain in the opening to have a good game...

ps:i just hope your not considering ICC rating in blizt as a real elo....probably not but just making sure...

psss: u want to buy a tactics books OP..just buy the art of chess combination by eugene znosko borovsky...should be enough...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah yeah tactics...i mean this aint blitz,but in real game u win games with positional advantage

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont believe its the case. Almost every game is decided by tactical superiority of one player (at least below GM level). I cant proof that as I dont have any statistical data (and it would be difficult to analyze this anyway). Its just my opinion as a chess fan (I still watch major tournaments regularly and play sometimes but only on the net).

[ QUOTE ]
for last,the trust me was for:....yeah im right just tell me better books to send him on the right path..
the book i said ARE in the best categories to learn the right way...prove me wrong....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think any book with tactical excersises is better choice for a beginner than any other book mentioned but I agree that the books you listed are very best from their categories (with the exception of "My System", also I dont have opinion about pawn structure chess as I didnt read that book).

[ QUOTE ]
u still have no suggestion..and pwn structure is so good since once u know this book(if u red it??),it all comes down to the same (around 10?)scheme of what plan u need to attain in the opening to have a good game

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont believe in "understanding" in the openings. You gotta play games, see games and learn some moves by heart. There is no otehr way around. Its of course only my opinion (but not only mine).
To book I would add book by Alex Yermolinsky which I think are great, especially "The road to chess improvment" which I think is really great (unfortunately not taht basic).

[ QUOTE ]
i just hope your not considering ICC rating in blizt as a real elo....probably not but just making sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

No I dont... (and my ICC rating is pretty pathetic these days.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).