Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Default 25NL: Confused, need some guidance...

Back when I first started playing poker, about 1.5-2 years ago, I played by one motto: "Get your money in with the best of it". That was it. If I didn't feel I had the best hand, I would check/fold. Now I seem to play by the motto: "Can I push this guy off his hand". Now, I'm not always trying to do this, but I find myself doing it about 1 time in 5. I'm not trying to pry every pot away from every player, but in my own mind, my re-raises and steal attempts are very convincing, but they only seem to work every now and then.

I remember someone saying that bluffing should just be one of many weapons in your poker arsenal and I agree with that. However, I cant count on catching cards and feel if I dont make a fair amount of attempts at pots I totally missed, my plays will be completely transparent.

I know most of the 25NL videos I've watched have said to play ABC poker. The problem I have with that advice is that means I can only win when I catch cards. I want to be able to win, while I'm card dead(as I'm sure everyone does). Is this an unacheivable goal at 25NL?

I remember watching a 25NL video by I_Strong(not 100% sure if that's his name), and remember him saying that the play was so random and sporatic, that all you could really do is play ABC.

What do you think? Also, could someone link me to his videos, I can't seem to find them
Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: 25NL: Confused, need some guidance...

post some hands were you're bluffing to make sure you're bluffing in good spots.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 AM

Ok, heres one I found:

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $28.70
BB: $25.00
UTG: $27.70
MP: $18.80
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $20.00</font>
BTN: $9.60

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1.25</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $1.00, 3 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2.85) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $1.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, UTG calls $2.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($9.85) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>, UTG calls $5.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($19.85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $10.25</font>, UTG calls $10.25

Pot Size: $40.35 ($1.95 Rake)

UTG had Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a pair of Queens) and WON ( $18.40)
Hero had T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (high card Ace) and LOST (-$20.00)
Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 AM

the flop raise is too small (fine if you make it like 4.5 or 5.

your turn bet is also too small (make it like 6.5 or 7 maybe even 8 if oyu're going to doulbe barrell this)

your river shove is really bad and pretty much spew imo.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Another: This one from 10NL

I feel like a represented JJ+ pretty well here, or at least KJ or AJ

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $9.55
BB: $8.90
UTG: $7.20
MP: $7.90
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $13.55</font>
BTN: $8.15

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.10, MP calls $0.10, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $0.30, 2 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($1.05) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, BB calls $0.50

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($3.05) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($7.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.50</font>, BB calls all-in for $5.50

Pot Size: $18.05 ($0.85 Rake)

BB had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Tens and Deuces) and WON ( $8.30)
Hero had Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a pair of Deuces) and LOST (-$8.90)
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the flop raise is too small (fine if you make it like 4.5 or 5.

your turn bet is also too small (make it like 6.5 or 7 maybe even 8 if oyu're going to doulbe barrell this)

your river shove is really bad and pretty much spew imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see what you're saying. In my head, I felt I would have play AK or KQ pretty close to that. So in general, make my bluff bets and raise closer to pot sized? I try to shoot for 60%-70% of pot for every bet/raise I make.

Also, when do you just let a bluff go? When/how do you know to fire the 3rd barrell?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Hand 2:
Raise to 0.60 preflop. 4BB + 1 per limper.

When you raise you should do a pot sized raise on the flop, eg $2 raise. Villain called your raise, so he probably isn't going anywhere. Especially after the turn when the flush hit, he didn't seem to care, but you kept betting the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

At NL10, these guys will call you down with top pair all day.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 AM

given that villain held QQ, this was obv a "good spot" to bluff but the question is if the bluff can take down his range

yes, flop raise and turn bet should be bigger. i disagree that the river bet is bad for the following reasons: villain is likely to 3bet AA, AK, sets on the flop. the only hand beating us that i see just calling the flop raise is AsQs, maybe AsJs. i doubt these hands call the turn bet. the line we have taken represents AK/set. the fact that he called this all in is very surprising, was there history here?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that he called this all in is very surprising, was there history here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he was a hit and run. I only have 1 hand played with him and thats it
Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 AM

the flush didn't hit the turn, it hit the river.