Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Do you \"fluff it up?\"

I am an admitted muni hack (see my thread, haha) that shoots about 100 a round. However, I have never once fluffed a ball up from its lie. And in fact, I have always played by the rules as best I can for a hack muni golfer

(I do take lateral hazard drops for all OB shots rather than reshooting from the same spot, so as not to take 5 hours).

Anyway, I think I'm far too competetive with myself and that is why I don't "cheat" by fluffing it up for an easier shot out of the rough or out of a divot or something.

Additionally, I think that it makes it easier to see improvement becuase it is giving me higher scores than I would have if I fluffed.

I have found that a lot of my friends who played on the high school golf teams and are like 80 golfers tend to fluff it up. Obviously they didn't do this on the team, but it still intrigues me that they fluff occasionally.

So there is my discussion input, onto the poll.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Do you \"fluff it up?\"

Winter rules is the only time I move the ball.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM

You didn't need a "results please" option when people could just click the results tab right underneath the poll. /nit

Anyway, depends on the circumstance. If I'm playing a "fun" round (no gambling involved) and don't really feel like dealing with dormant grass/hardpan or an otherwise poor lie, sometimes I'll do it. Once I've started doing it I consider my round more or less invalid so I may do it a couple or few more times during the round.

I get super annoyed with the self-righteous pricks who "never" do something like this though, it's a "gentelman's game", and it's "against the spirit", blah blah blah. Whatever. Sometimes I just want to have good time and not grind over a bunch of crappy lies because the course didn't overseed or it's in poor condition.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Back in HS, my home course was so pathetic that we always played winter rules, so I've grown accustomed to it but I don't on courses that have grass in fairways/roughs/etc.. if I go to another course I never do, but some courses you just HAVE to.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 PM

tuq, you just called me a self-righteous prick. Haha.

Though maybe not, as I don't do it because it is a gentleman's game. Rather, I do it becuase I'm competitive with myself and consider it cheating myself.

And note, I don't get annoyed by people that do it or anything, it is just a game of golf. I was just wondering what number of people do it and such.

And yes to the results please thing. I realized that after I posted and I didn't go back to edit it (if you can even edit a poll?)
Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back in HS, my home course was so pathetic that we always played winter rules, so I've grown accustomed to it but I don't on courses that have grass in fairways/roughs/etc.. if I go to another course I never do, but some courses you just HAVE to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is spot on. I never move the ball except if I'm playing a real goat trail and the fairways are in terrible condition. Off the fairway=play it as it lies.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:38 PM

AJ,

You can't edit a poll. I just felt like being a nit.

No, you're not a self-righteous prick if you do it, you are though if you go around preaching to everyone about how taking small liberties is against the spirit of the game and stuff like that. I know some people who are like that, and they are generally annoying off the course too.

Honestly, most rounds I'm gambling anyway so I'll be playing by the letter of the law unless otherwise agreed upon. But some Sunday afternoons I'll be out having a hit-and-giggle with some buddies and maybe I don't feel like hitting a flop shot off of hardpan over a sand trap with eight feet of green to work with.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winter rules is the only time I move the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 PM

In the fairway - fluff it up, otherwise play as it lies.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 AM

Growing up in Kansas on lush bluegrass fairways it never even occurred to me to not play it as it lies, but now I'm in dallas where I haven't played a course yet that didn't have hard thin bermuda crap. Nothing more annoying than hitting it 300 down the middle and not being able to hit the approach solid cause I'm on the same thing as cartpath.