Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Turn Plan?
Call. 78 44.83%
Push. 96 55.17%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Best Fighting Game Series: Round 2

How is SSM beating Tekken. Are you all small children?
Old 04-14-2007, 03:00 AM

Shadow: Real quickly I searched google and 1Up.com had VF4 Evolution as the "best 3D Fighting Game Ever." 10/10

Ign says:

"The deepest, richest, and most rewarding fighter out there." 9.5/10 (highest score of any fighter).

I can get a bunch more, but I'm tired. What do you think people would consider a better 3-D fighter? Soul Cal. II is the only thing even close.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 AM

SF2
MK
SSB
SC
Old 04-14-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shadow: Real quickly I searched google and 1Up.com had VF4 Evolution as the "best 3D Fighting Game Ever." 10/10

Ign says:

"The deepest, richest, and most rewarding fighter out there." 9.5/10 (highest score of any fighter).

I can get a bunch more, but I'm tired. What do you think people would consider a better 3-D fighter? Soul Cal. II is the only thing even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many more critics consider SC a better 3d fighter than Virtua Fighter from what I've seen. Still, that's just my viewpoint so I wouldn't offer that as proof the way you do. You're saying that it's easy to find proof that most critics agree that VF is the best 3d fighter and then offer two websites as "proof"...

Weaksauce.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is SSM beating Tekken. Are you all small children?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tekken is so unfun it's hard to describe. Maybe that's why?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many more critics consider SC a better 3d fighter than Virtua Fighter from what I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

sc was a killer app type game for the dreamcast, and probably the first 3d fighter to really explode on home consoles. unless you're looking at recently-written greatest of all time lists, i think there will be a signifigant amount of bias toward whatever was most explosive at the time. i'm reminded of the thps3 reviews that were like, "eh they've got reverts but nothing as huge as the manual was in the more impressive thps2". lots of people now consider thps3 the peak of the series. but even for goat lists, i would expect a lot of the reviewers that were actually around and playing pirates for the pc, sf2ww at the arcade, etc to have moved on. perhaps to other jobs, perhaps to editor positions. a previous poster made the comment about people preferring mk because of their childhood memories. that's perspective for ya.

i don't have an actual opinion on sc vs vf because i have yet to run into a true 3d fighter that i didn't find to feel as fast, responsive, and tactical as a 2d fighter. "3d-2d" ones i don't mind as much, but can still be klunky to me. i don't like the lag between input and output. maybe that's my old-by-video-game-standards age of 29 talking, maybe the games are more strategic than tactical. but i'll be surprised if sc doesn't remain at or near the top of fighters according to reviews, just because of the state of the genre upon its release. i had a dreamcast, and i picked up a copy because of the press. thought maybe it would show me what tekken and virtua fighter didn't. no dice!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM

eh I could write forever on this topic but I'll just say SC is thought of as the worst series by fighting game enthusiasts in general. Its basically a simple game that revolves around a few powerful moves and setups/combos, and sidestepping/walking. No one I know really enjoys playing this game against good competition, and its nowhere near popular in the tournament world.

VF is probably the best overall 3d series in the end but its main problem is its a very difficult game for beginners and even mid level players to get into, but when you and your friends get good it has some of the most enjoyable play of any fighter.

Tekken is a terrific series that intentionally removes some of the skill and reactions necessary in VF to play well, more or less leveling the playing field so that mid level players can still have fun with the game. I have played tekken more than any fighter and overall have enjoyed it more than any game series. It is also probably the best developed series - while it took VF 10 years from the release of VF3 to VF5, very little was actually changed or added, its still the same game. Tekken however has added and improved upon its game significantly in every iteration.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Having not played all fighting games at a tournament skill level, I can't really comment on which is the best game in that regard. However, I don't think "best fighting game series" means "best tournament fighting game series." Overall a lot of other factors need to be taken into account. Just wanted to say that to hopefully prevent the thread from degenerating into an argument over which is the best 3d fighter for tournament play.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think "best fighting game series" means "best tournament fighting game series." Overall a lot of other factors need to be taken into account. Just wanted to say that to hopefully prevent the thread from degenerating into an argument over which is the best 3d fighter for tournament play.

[/ QUOTE ]

fighting games are built upon the idea of competition, so i don't see how discussing how they are received at the highest levels of play could be considered degeneration. if by "other factors" you're implying fun, isn't that accounted for already? these challenge-seekers could try their hand at chess or bridge but they opted for a violent video game instead. and if something is an unfun piece of crap, i don't think it is going to ascend a thriving tournament level by simple virtue of being a fertile competitive platform.

balance and skill influence are a big part of replayability, tournaments put that to the ultimate test. "best" is a nebulous thing, it's not your thread, and the discourse here seems civil. i think it's perfectly valid for someone to consider tournament factors as a metric of quality. if you think something supercedes that, that's cool too. somebody else could even think something is best because it has the nicest outfits, whatever floats their boat. people vote for presidents with as little reasoning, so i don't think fighting game polls are above that.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many more critics consider SC a better 3d fighter than Virtua Fighter from what I've seen. Still, that's just my viewpoint so I wouldn't offer that as proof the way you do. You're saying that it's easy to find proof that most critics agree that VF is the best 3d fighter and then offer two websites as "proof"...

Weaksauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I can easily find more. I'm not finding many Soul Calibur best of all-time...

Gamecritics.com:

"Virtua Fighter is the Fighter Sim of choice, I don't think you can go into Soul Calibur II looking for a Virtua Fighter experience."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3157730

Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter (Note SC is not mentioned).

SCII is a great game, but I think if you asked critics they would say VF is the superior choice.

No, I'm not going to find more links proving my point...sorry if you need 15 for it not to be "weaksauce."