Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Oceans 11 trip report

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only draw back is finidng parking as it is terrible on busy nights and weekends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understatement of the century.

[/ QUOTE ]

When its busy I park across the street and walk over, not a huge deal and my car has always been fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "across the street" do you mean East of the club (away from the freeway) near that Latino dance club? My understanding was they allow that on weekday nights buy not on weekends when you really need it.

~ Rick
Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The irony is the the reason that I went to San Marcos was to buy 200 pounds worth of MLV, a high density sound proofing material for my apartment... and I sleep in a hotel that sounds like the pit stop at the indy 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than trying to block out sounds have you considered using masking sound? I have a decent stereo in my bedroom and play either a nature sound CD or something like Cowboy Junkies or a Haydn string quartet all night.

~ Rick
Old 02-22-2007, 04:35 PM

I suffered through noisy upstairs neighbors for a long time before I finally figured out that turning on a small fan before going to sleep drowns out the noise almost completely.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 PM

"Rather than trying to block out sounds have you considered using masking sound? I have a decent stereo in my bedroom and play either a nature sound CD or something like Cowboy Junkies or a Haydn string quartet all night."

Yeah but there's like no traffic noise by your apartment, you just enjoy listening to this crap and don't really sleep anyways.

-Michael
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By "across the street" do you mean East of the club (away from the freeway) near that Latino dance club? My understanding was they allow that on weekday nights buy not on weekends when you really need it.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya thats what I'm talking about, I've only had to park over there maybe 2 or 3 times. When the lot is full I don't know a better place to go.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Rather than trying to block out sounds have you considered using masking sound? I have a decent stereo in my bedroom and play either a nature sound CD or something like Cowboy Junkies or a Haydn string quartet all night."

Yeah but there's like no traffic noise by your apartment, you just enjoy listening to this crap and don't really sleep anyways. - -Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the sleep part - creepy old men rarely sleep much - but you're wrong about the traffic. Although I live on a spur street (sort of a low rent cul-de-sac) the main Eastbound Amtrak and major rail freight line is about 200 yards away. Then big trucks constantly drive on the spur to the "fortified health foods" factory down the street. Then the factory workers on break can't smoke within 100 yards of the factory entrance so their new spot is right outside my window. They talk a lot.

Still, with music playing 100% of the time I maintain my insanity and otherwise the place is OK.

~ Rick
Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya thats what I'm talking about, I've only had to park over there maybe 2 or 3 times. When the lot is full I don't know a better place to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick note: When I wrote "they" above I meant the dance club. The security gaurd at Ocean's usually knows when it's OK to part in this spot.

~ Rick
Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fri. from what I've seen is the softest day, I'm not sure what regulars you were playing with since they're all bad/awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's probably me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than trying to block out sounds have you considered using masking sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a fan for masking noise - music does not work, it keeps me awake. I need a pink noise source for masking.

The problem here is notso much the neighbors (masking works) but that they are building a new condo right next to my apartment, about 6 feet from my bedroom window.

And construction people start at 7 in the [censored] morning.

SEVEN!!!

Christ - bull dozers and backup beeps and jack hammers. Bastards!!

AND, I'm in downtown Hollywood, near the bar/club district - it's pretty noisy on weekend nights.

No masking noise can help that. Instead, a $100 of 1/4" MLV screwed down over the window.

MLV is "Mass Loaded Vinyl", it is vinyl with barium, a non-toxic heavy metal embedded. the heavy mass absorbs sound, converting it to a minute amount of heat energy, that dissipates. Mass loading is the best way to prevent sound transmission.

This stuff weighs 2 pounds per square foot. As an added bonus, it blocks light (and radiation) as well.

AB
Old 02-23-2007, 06:56 AM

"downtown Hollywood"

BBV.

-Michael