Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Offseason College Football Thread

Okay, recruiting season is over. Spring practice is about to begin. September is so far off. I don't believe there is a general off-season thread, so let's get one going. Spring practice reports, arrests, non-qualifiers, scheduling changes, etc.

I'll start. Scheduling: Michigan has gotten Appalachian State for the opener in 2007. Somewhat disappointed (Michigan is sort of one of about 6 schools who has not scheduled a D-IAA school in its present incarnation), but OTOH they are almost certainly better than Eastern Michigan, a DIA team we are playing. Given the teams with open dates, probably just as well, as the only good opponent open was Hawaii, who we were not playing given our secondary + Colt Brennan returning + Notre Dame and Oregon in the non-conference schedule already. They're 2-time defending DIAA champion (maybe?), so they're maybe 60/70th best DIA team (help? yes/no?). Kinda bad b/c we'd get more credit by crushing Mississippi State or whatever, but such is life.

Let us gogogogo.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Offseason College Football Thread

South Carolina QB Steven Garcia was arrested for what appears to be public intoxication, nothing major but I'm sure the ol' ball coach won't be happy

Garcia arrest pic
Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Appalachian St will be much worse than top 60/70 in DIA...much worse

game is a joke
Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 PM

If all goes to plan. I will be attending U of I vs WIU @ U of I. The two Illinois power houses will collide in a contest of titans. Two historic rivals battling out on the field of battle fighting for bragging rights. Forget ND v USC or Michigan v OSU this is where true men are created. I think the Ill will have to prep pretty hard for this game if they want to have a chance against the dub.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:31 PM

More Michigan scheduling stuff. It sounds like we're looking at moving away from playing Notre Dame, at least every year. Bill Martin (AD) mentioned they are particularly looking to play home-and-homes in the NYC, SF, and Texas areas, so possibly BC, Rutgers, Cal, Texas, or A&M. I really hope we do play ND less, as I'd love the exposure to a wider variety of teams/areas. Playing an SEC school would be awesome too.

On App St, the game is a joke, but it's what happens when you have a last-second void and want an easy paycheck. At any rate, however bad they are, I'm pretty sure they'll be better than Eastern. Oh well, Florida played a crap DIAA team, every one else does it. The only people who should really care about it are the fulltime season ticket holders who are paying $50 + a personal seat license plus parking and such. They're suffering bigtime because of this.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More Michigan scheduling stuff. It sounds like we're looking at moving away from playing Notre Dame, at least every year. Bill Martin (AD) mentioned they are particularly looking to play home-and-homes in the NYC, SF, and Texas areas, so possibly BC, Rutgers, Cal, Texas, or A&M. I really hope we do play ND less, as I'd love the exposure to a wider variety of teams/areas. Playing an SEC school would be awesome too.

On App St, the game is a joke, but it's what happens when you have a last-second void and want an easy paycheck. At any rate, however bad they are, I'm pretty sure they'll be better than Eastern. Oh well, Florida played a crap DIAA team, every one else does it. The only people who should really care about it are the fulltime season ticket holders who are paying $50 + a personal seat license plus parking and such. They're suffering bigtime because of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the season last year I think we (Auburn) tried to get a home and home with you guys but the Michigan AD declined.. that would've been an awesome matchup, would've loved a trip up to the Big House for a game.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Anyone care to clue me in on what are likely to be the most significant games next year, with extra weighting paid to games that are rivalry games? TIA.

Note that I also have a predisposition to SEC games.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:54 PM

two above the rest IMO based on your criteria:

Florida v LSU -- Baton Rouge -- October 6th
Texas v Oklahoma -- Dallas -- October 6th -- Red River

early non-conf ideas here the top5 look interesting if you're trying to fill in some September weekends--not many rivalries, but that V Tech game at Baton Rouge looks thrilling

Wisconsin v Ohio State
Michigan v Ohio State
USC v UCLA
Tennessee v Georgia 10/6 -- Knoxville, TN
Georgia v Florida 10/27 -- Jacksonville, FL -- Cocktail Party
Georgia v Auburn 11/10 -- Athens, GA
Georgia @ G Tech 11/24 -- Atlanta, GA
South Carolina v Clemson 11/24 -- Columbia, SC
Auburn v Alabama 11/24 -- Auburn, AL -- Iron Bowl
Auburn @ LSU 10/20 -- Baton Rouge

resource for predicitions
Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two above the rest IMO based on your criteria:

Florida v LSU
Texas v Oklahoma

early non-conf ideas here the top5 look interesting if you're trying to fill in some September weekends--not many rivalries, but that V Tech game at Baton Rouge looks thrilling

Wisconsin v Ohio State
Michigan v Ohio State
USC v UCLA
Tennessee v Georgia

resource for predicitions

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The top two would work nicely.

Last year a small group of friends and I decided to go to one game like this a year, with the goal of hitting as many cool stadiums and rivalries as possible. Last year, we hit Florida at Tennessee, which was obviously a huge success. Bonus was that it was in prime time.

Wouldn't be thrilled about Florida two years in a row, but seeing a game in LSU is defintely a priority.

We are all trying to save ND/Mich/tOSU games for a few years as we grew up in the area. Plus, scUM v tOSU is absurdly expensive.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM

too bad they are both on the same day...threw in some more suggestions

edit: oh yeah, Baton Rouge games are typically night games. Occassionally, CBS moves them to 2:30 CST. Sure beats the pants off the 11AM big10 starts.