FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is better?
Reginald VelJohnson 26 72.22%
Alan Thicke 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Special Sklansky Question: Arenas vs Duke

[ QUOTE ]
Every Duke player for the past decade has pretty much been NBA caliber or very close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's like 7 quality players in the NBA right now from Duke:

Deng, Boozer, Hiil, Duhon, Maggette, Brand, Battier.....anyone else?

Even BAD NBA players were absolute studs in top D1 conferences.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 AM

bort,

no
no (JJ!)
yup
it's 11 seconds longer because players aren't as good. (remember when the clock was 45?!? zzzzz) Arenas isn't going to waste his time putting the ball in the hole.
true
Shorter 3 line benefits Arenas big time.

mt2r,

I kinda see what you're saying, though GKA makes a good point about illegal defense. Rotations in the NBA are WAY more difficult than in college. But you're right in that offenses are, on average, more complex than in the pros. That's largely due to the fact they're less skilled and/or athletic. I don't agree, however, that that means defenses are more complex. Sure, there's your 2-3 zone, and the occasional 3-2 zone or box and 1 (side note: zones are suicide vs Arenas). But man to man is still man to man, regardless of the offense. The only tough time is dealing with screens, which is no different in the NBA. So basically, you're wrong.. they're not "ridiculously" more complex.

All,

If the other team is smart, Arenas drops 25 or so but the rest of his team scores 65-70.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Every Duke player for the past decade has pretty much been NBA caliber or very close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let me catch my breath. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Look out for Joe Pagliuca in the lottery!

Let's put Martynas Pocius on Arenas. He'll lock him down.

Yeah, those Duke players are all NBA caliber, that's why they excel so much once they get to the NBA.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 AM

LOL at college defenses being so complex. You know what's even more complex? Trying to stop an elite NBA scorer. Especially one as efficient as Gil. The college 3pt line is 4 ft. closer in, FOUR FEET! Defenses wouldn't be able to rotate. Duke would foul out. Gil is the best off the dribble 3pt shooter, has an incredible midrange game & is a great finisher. NBA defenses can't stop him.

If Gil was a college player nowadays, he'd average 40pts. If he went out to score on every possession, he could get 75.

If Duke was out to use up all the shot clock on every possession, that'd be the best chance to hold him down.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at college defenses being so complex. You know what's even more complex? Trying to stop an elite NBA scorer. Especially one as efficient as Gil. The college 3pt line is 4 ft. closer in, FOUR FEET! Defenses wouldn't be able to rotate. Duke would foul out. Gil is the best off the dribble 3pt shooter, has an incredible midrange game & is a great finisher. NBA defenses can't stop him.

If Gil was a college player nowadays, he'd average 40pts. If he went out to score on every possession, he could get 75.

If Duke was out to use up all the shot clock on every possession, that'd be the best chance to hold him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for puttin some sanity back in this thread
Old 01-26-2007, 12:28 PM

If GA is serious with "I would never pass" and all Duke cared about was stopping him, Duke would focus 100% him - i.e double team him without the ball, etc. Then he would score about 25 or so.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He'd score 25.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-26-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many points would Arenas score against this years Duke team (currently ranked #10) if he was playing on an average Div-I team (that had ample time to practice with each other)?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2743071

[/ QUOTE ]

From Hibachi's blog:

[ QUOTE ]
D'Antoni said that after I scored 54 on them and made my prediction to score 50 on the Blazers that he'd like to see what I'm going to do against Duke.
I thought it was funny because if I have the chance to go back to college, I’ll give up one NBA season to play against Duke.

One college game…that’s five fouls, right?...40-minute game…at Duke, they got soft rims…I’d probably score 84 or 85.

I wouldn’t pass the ball.

I wouldn’t even think about passing it. It would be like a NBA Live or an NBA 2K7 game, you just shoot with one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he says 84, 85, I believe him.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many points would Arenas score against this years Duke team (currently ranked #10) if he was playing on an average Div-I team (that had ample time to practice with each other)?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2743071

[/ QUOTE ]

From Hibachi's blog:

[ QUOTE ]
D'Antoni said that after I scored 54 on them and made my prediction to score 50 on the Blazers that he'd like to see what I'm going to do against Duke.
I thought it was funny because if I have the chance to go back to college, I’ll give up one NBA season to play against Duke.

One college game…that’s five fouls, right?...40-minute game…at Duke, they got soft rims…I’d probably score 84 or 85.

I wouldn’t pass the ball.

I wouldn’t even think about passing it. It would be like a NBA Live or an NBA 2K7 game, you just shoot with one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he says 84, 85, I believe him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Never underestimate a pissed off disrespected professional athlete.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:25 PM

WRT EVERY DUKE PLAYER BEING NBA CALIBER!!!!!

ILL BET ANYONE MONIES THAT TRAJAN LANGDON GETS INTO THE ASSOCIATION BY NEXT SEASON HES SICK IN EUROPE.