Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: 9/18 live Commerce Flop top set

[ QUOTE ]

PF: I think 3-bet is important as you don't want overcards hanging around, unless you actually think your going to get 6 callers which would give you set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if you thought you'd get 6 callers, you should still 3-bet. playing QQ for only set value is leaving money on the table.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay - just checking. I bet of course, and he folded.

Just hate it when I'm stuck due to suck outs and then no one pays ME off... lol

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

good that you are thinking about this situation

i don't believe you ought to dismiss your thinking about trying a slow play here...i believe i would have checked on flop, hoping to induce a stab on the turn...heads up, against a TAG, its trickery time!!

you were up against a TAG player, one you think may have had some hand reading ability, and perhaps if you had checked he would think you held AK and had missed the flop...seems worth a shot...he would think you held AA-JJ, AK given that you 3bet preflop, then a check behind on the turn might tempt him to attempt...this seems like a spot where some 2nd and 3rd level thinking could be useful

anyway, i can't argue much with the result...a sure small win is better than an iffy big one...
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, should I have gone for overcalls preflop, and just called villain's raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you hit a set? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It can be a nice move with AA though.

Bet the flop. If he c/raises, call and raise the turn.

b
Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover, you would expect him to check-raise you with his AA, KK, JJ, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, so that you can 3-bet him.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make more calling and raising the turn. If he c/r'es you, he will most likely bet the turn. It's odd if he doesn't. If you 3 bet, he may go into a shell.

b
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i believe i would have checked on flop, hoping to induce a stab on the turn...heads up, against a TAG, its trickery time!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your range should be wide as to what you'd bet the flop with here. Checking it looks very suspicious. Note that OP could've bought this pot with any hand on this flop. Him actually having a set is irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
and perhaps if you had checked he would think you held AK and had missed the flop...seems worth a shot...he would think you held AA-JJ, AK given that you 3bet preflop, then a check behind on the turn might tempt him to attempt...this seems like a spot where some 2nd and 3rd level thinking could be useful

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't thinking of checking behind so you then raise the turn, are you? You want to bet where you can be representing the widest range of hands.

I'd bet this flop with AK.

One of the best ways to play the 2nd or 3rd level thinking game is to just play it str8 forward.

b
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You sir are a knob jockey of the highest order.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably, but this thread is useless. You flop top set, just bet, he might have AA and c/r, then you can raise the turn.

This thread is akin to "I flopped quads and I don't know what to do"
Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 PM

" Quote:
Moreover, you would expect him to check-raise you with his AA, KK, JJ, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, so that you can 3-bet him.

"You make more calling and raising the turn. If he c/r'es you, he will most likely bet the turn. It's odd if he doesn't. If you 3 bet, he may go into a shell.

b"
Bernie,
point taken. thanks,
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of the best ways to play the 2nd or 3rd level thinking game is to just play it str8 forward.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... just thinking if there's a way to extract more from my strong hands, especially against stronger players.

I know I still have leaks - but these two threads indicate to me my leaks are elsewhere...

Thanks for all comments.

AB
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM

haven't read other responses yet, but put your foot on the gas.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking it looks very suspicious. Note that OP could've bought this pot with any hand on this flop. Him actually having a set is irrelevant.

You aren't thinking of checking behind so you then raise the turn, are you? You want to bet where you can be representing the widest range of hands.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

1-okay, it looks suspect i'll agree, and the villain is a good player as the OP noted...so, let's confuse/tempt him

2-am i thinking of checking behind...yes i would do that--we may lose one small bet if he were to call...but perhaps he would bet the turn...and i would try it here too...just how aggressive is the villain, and how aggressive does he think i am...i would think we have the villain beat, so we risk losing him...i would play a little and check behind--maybe its not the best, but, its different...