Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Official 2006-2007 College Hockey Thread

I always wondered how Canadian universities would match up to US colleges

does anyone have any clue?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM

College hockey is not big in Canada. The players are guys who couldn't play juniors or for an American college. A lot of these schools play US teams in exhibition games and usually lose. The first game my Freshman year of college, my school, Northern Michigan beat a Canadian college 20-2.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we have a good clue. The Canadian universities routinely play the US colleges in pre-season exhibition games. Cornell plays one each year as its tune-up before the regular season, when we've only got about 5 practices and an intrasquad scrimmage under our belt. This year it was York, and we won 11-1.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hideous performance at East Lansing last night by Michigan. 3-1 lead at the end of 1 leads to a 5-3 deficit after 2 and a 7-4 loss. Red hasn't beaten MSU in his last 9 tries (although about half of those are ties). We should not be ranked at all, IMO, but if we win tonight at home we probably still will be. Name recognition can carry the team for now, but it won't save it in the Pairwise Rankings.

Haven't had a bad season since I started following them, this might be it. Given the way sports went here last year, should've happened last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The polls are obviously meaningless. But it has always seemed to me that if a WCHA, HE or CCHA team can put up slightly better than a .500 season with a couple of quality wins, that may be good enough to get high enough in the PWR for a bid.

Living in the ECAC it's a much different story.

I'm excited for tonight. Seeing the Big Red in action up @ Yale. Off to a quick 3-0 start, but with wins vs. UNH and Colgate, Yale is looking like a dangerous team this year. Should be fun!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
College hockey is not big in Canada. The players are guys who couldn't play juniors or for an American college. A lot of these schools play US teams in exhibition games and usually lose. The first game my Freshman year of college, my school, Northern Michigan beat a Canadian college 20-2.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I figured the good players would play for a CHL team rather than a university team in Canada
Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM

I went to Saint Lawrence and was a big fan. They play in the same league as Harvard and Cornell and Brown right?

GO SAINTS!

Does anyone know if they are gonna be any good this year?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadian college hockey teams are little more than glorified intramural teams. Anyone who's any good in Canada is either snapped up by the juniors system in their mid-teens, or gets a college scholarship in the US. The other responders to this are right on the mark. I was at that Cornell-York game the other night at Lynah and it was brutally ugly. The only reason it was only 11-1 was that Schafer doesn't generally run up the score on people. It could've been a lot worse.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Saint Lawrence and was a big fan. They play in the same league as Harvard and Cornell and Brown right?

GO SAINTS!

Does anyone know if they are gonna be any good this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the few things you can set your watch to in ECAC hockey is that St. Lawrence is always going to be good and competitive, but that they're not going to be great. I can't remember ever seeing an outright -bad- Saints team, but I don't ever remember seeing one that was a national championship contender either (although I think they did make it to one national title game in the mid-80s, way before my time - I'm Cornell class on '94). Nothing too different should happen this year.

--Scott
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 AM

Michigan gets the split this weekend. Incidentally, we've gone 10 straight weekend series (not counting CCHA playoffs last year) without sweeping. Terrible. The team crushes MSU 6-2. It's like they play when they feel like it. They need to get their heads on straight.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 AM

Just in general, does anyone know if there has been a change in officiating this year in college hockey, or at least in the ECAC? In past years, I remember seeing a team getting called for 6 or 7 penalties tops per game. I've been to 4 games so far this year, and I don't think either team in any game has not gotten called for at least 10. There has been so little 5 on 5 from what I've seen.