Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: What shapes your opinion of opposing fan bases?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Kings fan and I abhor all Lakers fans. A lot are championship riders and I can't stand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I'm sorry that you've just lost 50% of your fanbase to Phoenix. I wonder why that is.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM

Not really. Nice try though. You act like there are lots of movement within the Sacremento faithful. Look at how often they sell out and how many years. The growth might be smaller but I don't see many people moving to Phoenix as their favorite team who were Sacremento fans. Personally I hate Nash so I'll never go, nor would I want to go.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

honestly, forming a broad opinion of any fan base is like being a racist. every team is going to have some [censored] and idiots, some gentlemen and intelligent fans. you can make broad generalizations (i'm confident royals fans are nicer than yankee fans as a whole), but eventually you learn that you can't tell anything about an individual by what team they cheer for, just like you can't do this based on race, religion, economic status, or any of that.

i left out gender, because all women are crazy. if you discuss this at length with a girl, she will eventually admit it is true.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, forming a broad opinion of any fan base is like being a racist. every team is going to have some [censored] and idiots, some gentlemen and intelligent fans. you can make broad generalizations (i'm confident royals fans are nicer than yankee fans as a whole), but eventually you learn that you can't tell anything about an individual by what team they cheer for, just like you can't do this based on race, religion, economic status, or any of that.

i left out gender, because all women are crazy. if you discuss this at length with a girl, she will eventually admit it is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think you have it backwards. IMO, you can't judge individual fans based on your opinions of a fan base - i.e. just because K State fans are tools and your neighbor down the street is a K St. fan then he must be a tool. That's wrong. But you CAN judge an entire fanbase, based on their actions.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM

i think almost all fan bases suck

i am very upset with the way people use cheering for their favorite team as an oppurtunity to say that they are better than people who cheer for another team. Getting in someone's face over the achievements of other people on a playing field is disgusting. I go to enjoy my team, not to tell Joe Blow the Peacocks fan how much he sucks at life.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This forum proves it. It's probably the most humorless one on the whole site. Even the "About the Forums" forum is more enjoyable than this one. Jesus, just yesterday I tried to make a joke and a poster took it in the worst possible context and said he lost all respect for me, etc.

The fact that this forum is utterly devoid of fun is particularly ironic considering its subject matter.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 PM

Another aspect of this... The SF Giant's crowd at the 'Stick had a lot of negative energy, some opportunistically mayhem minded in bleachers, etc. With the new stadium's location, better team, higher ticket prices, more season ticket holders, different surrounding neighborhoods, freshness of the experience, etc. changed the demographic of attendees drastically.

Sometimes the current fan base is criticized for being a wine and brie set. True enough, but the experience is a lot better, atmosphere is more family friendly-- which would be nice if family's could afford to go.

My point, I think, is that the fan base didn't change much, but what was on display in the stadium did.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really. Nice try though. You act like there are lots of movement within the Sacremento faithful. Look at how often they sell out and how many years. The growth might be smaller but I don't see many people moving to Phoenix as their favorite team who were Sacremento fans. Personally I hate Nash so I'll never go, nor would I want to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Sac now.. the town seems pretty faithful to the Kings. It'll be funny when the Maloofs pack up and ship the team to Vegas.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This forum proves it. It's probably the most humorless one on the whole site. Even the "About the Forums" forum is more enjoyable than this one. Jesus, just yesterday I tried to make a joke and a poster took it in the worst possible context and said he lost all respect for me, etc.

The fact that this forum is utterly devoid of fun is particularly ironic considering its subject matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this is a terrific point - and even the irony used on here is utterly humorless (e.g. the constant 'Derek Jeter is the best' sarcasm).
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mine comes from the games I've been to. I went to the Eagles Jaguars game this past weekend, I'm obviously a Jags fan, and I wore my Tony Boselli. I knew that I was going to be the butt of many jokes and insults. I was not expecting to have beer poured on me and people willing to fight me.

But, at the Meadowlands for both Jet and Giant games I did not get anywhere near the harrassment that I recieved at Lincoln Financial. I was expecting Jet fans to be as bad as Iggle fans but they were fun to be with, until the Jags won in OT. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Giant fans have been the best by far, fun, loud and overall great experience.

I never expected NJ/NY people to be THAT much nicer that Philly fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, most fans of the Eagles (who go to the games at least) are trash. You can have a dominant fan base without resorting to pouring beer on people and yelling at 8-year olds in the opposing team's jersey. I have found other cities to have much more passionate fans, who don't need to be over the top to prove it. Hopefully, when I have kids I'll be a small cog in changing the culture of Philly sports fans. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]