Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM

Default 3/6 live, top two against a rock and a raiser

Haven't played live in forever, and I've been playing 5/10-10/20 6-max for the last year, so I really have a lot of adjustments to make, for getting reads, playing full ring, and the limits. Didn't make them so well.

This is a 3/6 hand at the Paris.

A limper to me, I raise black AQo. Two or three people cold-call, the blinds come along, and there's probably 7 of us to the flop.

Flop is QT3, two diamonds. Check to me I bet, one caller, button raises. He's an old guy who has shown no aggression so far (5 orbits?). Guy to my right tells me "He doesn't raise unless he has at least two pair". I tend to believe him. Two people cold-call in between, including my buddy to the right, I call, other guy calls.

5 to the turn for 12BB.

Turn is an A, no d. Checked to me, I check (maybe I should have bet), check, raiser bets, next dude calls, now the guy to my right raises. He's shown a fair amount of aggression, maybe even slightly lag, and certainly quite loose, but this is also the guy who warned me that the bettor here "has at least two pair". What's my play?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: 3/6 live, top two against a rock and a raiser

If he had a set he wouldn't have said "He doesn't raise unless he has at least two pair". He's going to shut the hell up and hope people play. He may have hit a straight however. Seeing how he is a lag the right play may be to raise to make straight draws to pay. The question would then become: what to do if he reraises...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: 3/6 live, top two against a rock and a raiser

just call. You can't protect your hand and you are often beaten by a set.

edit: if the player behind you is actually a rock then he is more likely to have flopped a set of queens, tens, or threes than he is to be holding QT for top 2. Also, he bet the turn, which means that he doesn't mind the ace. His minimum hand according to your read is AQ for flopped TPTK and turned top two pair. Maybe your read is off and YHIG + you might draw out, so calling is proper.