Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Why Im no longer an ACist

[ QUOTE ]

That is why I am no longer an ACist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it very hard to believe that you were ever an ACist.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If X is listed as the foremost cause of poverty, and X goes away Im assuming that the poster thinks poverty will at least dramaticly decrease without X

[/ QUOTE ]

Government is the primary cause of povery because:

A. They damage the economy, slowing technical, medical, etc. advancement, ensuring that people in the future have worse lifestyles.

B. Governments prevent people from moving out of countries where they're oppressed with immigration laws. (this is probably #1)

C. Government "aid" often makes people reliant on government, so they never develop the skills or motivation they need to become not poor.

[/ QUOTE ]Scarce resources are the primary cause of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be part of A.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scarce resources are the primary cause of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a view. I think that unequal, unbalanced, unfair, distribution and withholding, and waste, of scarce resources are the primary cause of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not really sure we disagree. We can agree that if resources werent' scarce there would be no poverty? Maybe I make a correction, The enomourous amount of luck in the distribution of scarce resources is the primary cause of poverty?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1)If you say ACists are in favor of slightly coercing some ppl to reduce the coercion of poor kids then nvm my critique.
2)Here is my biggest disagreement with you all, you say that goverment helps corporations etc,etc. Even if that is [censored] up and could be fixed on a goverment, I still prefer the current situation over what I would think would happen on AC, you are just HOPING things will work out they way you say it will, not everyone has the time to go through a lenghty consumer report( a consumer report thay may not even be that accurate and if the consumer report is any good u bet its going to be quite expensive)
3)The point is that I think that issue will almost certainly be a deal-breaker if it doesnt get down to violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here is the solution to #2. No one will ever have to read a Consumer Report on anything. No one has to be competent or spend enough time to make any sort of difficult decision: save one. They only need to spend time choosing a Chooser. Someone that they will then trust to make decisions for them.

If you are saying they are incompetent or dont have the time to even do this then I hope you realize how horrible democracy is.

[/ QUOTE ]Why does that lead to ACism? Or say anything about democracy being bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if they can't make a good decision about one person to follow the advice of on consumer products, how in the world are they going to vote?

[/ QUOTE ]And lead to Acism?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about "lead to"? It's part of ACism. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Being able to choose a chooser doesn't need ACism. I'm in 100% in favor of dropping forcing a leader on some one else. But I don't see why it's ACism that we want because of that.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The enomourous amount of luck in the distribution of scarce resources is the primary cause of poverty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a shadow of a doubt, like it is the primary cause of success!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If X is listed as the foremost cause of poverty, and X goes away Im assuming that the poster thinks poverty will at least dramaticly decrease without X

[/ QUOTE ]

A. They damage the economy, slowing technical, medical, etc. advancement, ensuring that people in the future have worse lifestyles.

B. Governments prevent people from moving out of countries where they're oppressed with immigration laws. (this is probably #1)

C. Government "aid" often makes people reliant on government, so they never develop the skills or motivation they need to become not poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd love to see some numbers on this.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be part of A.

[/ QUOTE ]Again it's still not the primary cause of poverty. It's the adjective primary that I'm talking about.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd love to see some numbers on this.

[/ QUOTE ]Unlimited resources would mean no poverty. I'm not sure what numbers you'd want to see. It's just pure logic. Or were you talking to AlexM?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a view. I think that unequal, unbalanced, unfair, distribution and withholding, and waste, of scarce resources are the primary cause of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not really sure we disagree. We can agree that if resources werent' scarce there would be no poverty? Maybe I make a correction, The enomourous amount of luck in the distribution of scarce resources is the primary cause of poverty?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we really discussing if government vs no government is better in terms of poverty, or just current system vs AC system?

How about this angle: Humans are selfish by nature (not completely, but mostly). In that sense, an organized body with the right authority is needed to help distribute resources, reduce separation between classes, etc. Obviously not to the extreme (communism) but enough to give the poor decent conditions.

In that sense, don't we need the government? Yes, the government has a certain price in the form of administrative overhead, but isn't it better than the alternative?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we really discussing if government vs no government is better in terms of poverty, or just current system vs AC system?

How about this angle: Humans are selfish by nature (not completely, but mostly). In that sense, an organized body with the right authority is needed to help distribute resources, reduce separation between classes, etc. Obviously not to the extreme (communism) but enough to give the poor decent conditions.

In that sense, don't we need the government? Yes, the government has a certain price in the form of administrative overhead, but isn't it better than the alternative?

[/ QUOTE ]

Humans are selfish but they are going to vote for a caring compassionate government to have power over them.

Humans are selfish oooh except the tiny % who are looking to get as much power as they can over others.

Your angle is ludicrous