Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Ichiro at 1499 Hits

[ QUOTE ]
I think considering fastest to reach stats shouldn't be done when the guy was 27 and had already had a successful career before coming to the league.

It's still pretty impressive, but I'm sure he's nowhere near fastest if it was number of games it took to reach 1500 hits starting with the season after the 27th birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, although I don't have access to any slick query tools, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who piled up 7 straight 200-hit seasons at any age. The only player I noticed through a quick scan of baseball reference was Boggs.

Also, wouldn't it be rarer for it to happen after a player's 27th b-day given that such a run would end when he was in his mid-30s? I think this makes Ichiro's accomplishment more significant, not less.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's too bad all of he does is hit singles, because he's a remarkable player if you ignore things like value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Ichiro has a career .302 EqA. Jones had a EqA of .302 when he hit 50 bombs. From what I see, Ichiro would be the best CF in MLB. Correct me here?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:38 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
It's too bad all of he does is hit singles, because he's a remarkable player if you ignore things like value.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about Tony Gwynn's induction to the Hall of Fame?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 PM

Ichiro is a remarkable player. He's also a valuable player. However, his place in history is based on things that are overvalued.

He is better at getting hits than just about any player ever, but a 80% of these are singles, more than nearly any player in history. He also has a ton of infield hits. So while he piles up the hits and is lauded for it, he's got one of the emptiest batting averages ever, and the average value of one of his hits is probably the lowest in the MLB.

He plays centerfield very well, but has only played it for about one year. Most of his career has come at a corner outfield position, which hurts his value. So while he's hailed for his defense, most of it came at one of the least challenging positions on the field.

Mostly, Ichiro's so highly regarded because he's different from everyone playing the game and he's really really fun to watch. However, he doesn't have a great peak and only has about 5000 PA. Let's not get carried away.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Ichiro has a career .302 EqA. Jones had a EqA of .302 when he hit 50 bombs. From what I see, Ichiro would be the best CF in MLB. Correct me here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones was terribly overrated in that season as well.

The best CF in the MLB? Take your pick: Ichiro, Beltran, Sizemore, Granderson, or Rowand.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about Tony Gwynn's induction to the Hall of Fame?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good! Tony Gwynn had a higher peak than Ichiro. He also has a higher EqA despite having 5500 more PA.