Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Deion Branch: Jets & NFC Team Reach Agreement

[ QUOTE ]
cough cough...tuck rule...cough cough

[/ QUOTE ]

I would explode into a million pieces if I had this argument one more time [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well StLouis in 01 was prob 7-14pts better than them on average, and beat them by a TD earlier in the year

they were lucky that game

[/ QUOTE ]

That game StL beat the Pats earlier, the Pats could have easily won had they not fumbled at the goal line.

Yes, the Pats won a lot of close games, but that's the way Belicheck coaches. Conservative and close to the vest.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mike Martz decided not to use the best player in football till the second half

[/ QUOTE ]

Martz idiocy is expected. If for some reason it wasn't, they'd be lucky. But this was pretty stanard superegomaniac [censored] Mike Martz.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair that was MArtz first year as a HC, and most of us were unprepared for the years of humor that followed.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:44 PM

Something that comes to my mind is a dropped int late in the game by a Panthers LB that would have sealed it up, also if you dont want to talk about the tuck rule, you could talk about the fact it was overturned, which was about a 20 to 1 shot considering how the replay had been used. Also, when you win 5 games by 3 points, the "lucky not to be unlucky" element comes into play.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something that comes to my mind is a dropped int late in the game by a Panthers LB that would have sealed it up,

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't want to talk about Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson getting injured during the game, which put the Pats in that position to begin with?

[ QUOTE ]
also if you dont want to talk about the tuck rule, you could talk about the fact it was overturned, which was about a 20 to 1 shot considering how the replay had been used.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you don't want to talk about the fact that a) Brady was hit in the head on that play b) the refs made the right call and c) that Oakland had other chances to win and the Pats stoppped them?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, when you win 5 games by 3 points, the "lucky not to be unlucky" element comes into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess losing most of your defensise backfield, or your starting center, right before/during the Super Bowl doesn't count as bad luck

edit: I guess having to face the most prolific passing attack in NFL history with am injury depleted secondary 2 years is good luck
Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would explode into a million pieces if I had this argument one more time [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to argue about the Tuck rule, but that was pretty damn lucky.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to argue about the Tuck rule, but that was pretty damn lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my guess is that Brady was not thinking "if I just get my arm moving forward before they knock the ball out I'll be OK..."

It was the correct call but it was also lucky because it was about a tenth of a second from a fumble and a loss.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Something that comes to my mind is a dropped int late in the game by a Panthers LB that would have sealed it up,

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't want to talk about Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson getting injured during the game, which put the Pats in that position to begin with?

[ QUOTE ]
also if you dont want to talk about the tuck rule, you could talk about the fact it was overturned, which was about a 20 to 1 shot considering how the replay had been used.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you don't want to talk about the fact that a) Brady was hit in the head on that play b) the refs made the right call and c) that Oakland had other chances to win and the Pats stoppped them?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, when you win 5 games by 3 points, the "lucky not to be unlucky" element comes into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess losing most of your defensise backfield, or your starting center, right before/during the Super Bowl doesn't count as bad luck

edit: I guess having to face the most prolific passing attack in NFL history with am injury depleted secondary 2 years is good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

KBZ, if your trying to argue that the Pats didn't get lucky in their 3 SB championship playoff runs then your nuts.
but if your just trying to say that yes they got lucky but every SB winning team gets lucky on their way to the SB then your correct.

For a recent example see the Colts CB who decided to run right at Rothesburger instead of away from him.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pats lucked out in many areas in their wins

The Pats did just about everything possible to lose that game to the Broncos.
It was shocking how awful the Pats played in that game...

The Broncos did just the absolute bare minimum to win it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the last two parts of this post.

Part of the way the Pats 'luck out' in general is by avoiding mistakes and letting others make them. It's not glamorous and some people think, "Oh, lucky" but winning when others make mistakes is something 2p2ers should be familiar with.

In the Broncos game, WE made the mistakes, which is why we lost.

That and that absolutely [censored] brutal pass interference call. I watched that on YouTube earlier and cringed.

NT
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KBZ, if your trying to argue that the Pats didn't get lucky in their 3 SB championship playoff runs then your nuts.
but if your just trying to say that yes they got lucky but every SB winning team gets lucky on their way to the SB then your correct.

For a recent example see the Colts CB who decided to run right at Rothesburger instead of away from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course the Patriots got some breaks, just as every team does. but the tone taken above was such that "the Patriots won b/c of those breaks" which is blatently false. The Patriots were very, very clearly the best team in the NFL for 2 out of the 3 years they won the super bowl.