Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 08-03-2006, 06:54 PM

Default turn c/r semi (600NL).

the villain's turn bet looked really weak and noone seemed interested in the pot so i try to take it down on the turn.

comments on all streets welcome also.

villains are: Button 56/4, 52/6 (preflop stats almost useless however).

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $298.93
UTG+1: $501.56
CO: $591
Button: $758.32
SB: $1264.75
Hero: $600

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $12</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($51, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $6</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($75, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $150</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $265</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($870, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in $15.93</font>, Button calls, Hero folds.

Results:
Final pot: $901.86
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: turn c/r semi (600NL).

Too many players in the pot for this and they are already giving you very good odds, take them.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:01 PM

Semi-bluffing the turn is rarely correct.

BTW I fold this preflop. Edit: Wait it's a minraise nevermind.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:07 PM

Would you ever plan a big made hand that way? So don't play your draw that way either.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semi-bluffing the turn is rarely correct.

BTW I fold this preflop. Edit: Wait it's a minraise nevermind.

[/ QUOTE ]

mind expanding on that a little PF? its not something i do a lot, it just felt like i had a lot of FE in this example so i went ahead with it.

and yes heh, it feels as though ive seen nothing but minraises all day, very stange. i table select g00t [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 PM

The great thing about semibluffing the flop is that our equity, when called, usually isn't that bad anyway. Now we're semibluffing a gutshot on the turn, where we have very little equity if called. It's hard to make up that difference in equity between drawing to two cards and drawing to one card, which is why I feel semibluffing the turn is almost always bad.

This particular move is essentially a stone cold bluff that, once in a blue moon, will get bailed out by making broadway. It barely even qualifies as a semi-bluff. Is making this move with ATC profitable? Of course not. We're risking a lot of money in a small pot on a coordinated board against multiple villians.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM

call the river. If he stole this with KsJs, you made a catastrophic mistake. (and robbed us of a BBV post too)
Old 08-03-2006, 07:56 PM

I'd just call the turn with this many people.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The great thing about semibluffing the flop is that our equity, when called, usually isn't that bad anyway. Now we're semibluffing a gutshot on the turn, where we have very little equity if called. It's hard to make up that difference in equity between drawing to two cards and drawing to one card, which is why I feel semibluffing the turn is almost always bad.

This particular move is essentially a stone cold bluff that, once in a blue moon, will get bailed out by making broadway. It barely even qualifies as a semi-bluff. Is making this move with ATC profitable? Of course not. We're risking a lot of money in a small pot on a coordinated board against multiple villians.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm, i think you missed the significance of the 8 on the turn. it gave me a double gutshot, any 9 or K gives me the straight (and a A gives me top pair, for what thats worth).

what you say about semi bluffing the flop only holds if you are semi bluffing all-in and thus get to see 2 cards for your raise. it possibly also holds when you are in position and can check behind on the turn for a free card. obviously the move works very well in these situations, but that is not to say it is incorrect at other times.