Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Cell Phones

Which do you have/had (carrier and phone).

How is it for;
'clearness':
service:
international calls:
working overseas:
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Cell Phones

had cingular(dont remember phone type); bad in NY/NJ (as of 2005-2006), good in boston, tx, seems to work well overseas

have verizon chocolate; the phone itself isnt very good, cant hear great out of it even w/ full bars. Plays music/ringtones really clearly, but hard to hear people. always seems to work bad inside (both in boston and tx) compared to friend's phones. cant call internationally, doesnt work overseas (barely works in canada).
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 AM

very slightly off topic: virtually everyone i know has a cellphone, except for male math majors, of which almost none seem to have phones
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Cingular (the new AT&T) Razr V3
Phone is good. Have been using it for almost 2 years.
Clearness: Sucks [censored] in SoCal. Alright in Vegas and SD
Service: Hm havent had to call the customer service yet.
International Calls: I use a phonecard to call my parents oversea. $20 gets you about 800~1000 minutes, depending on the quality. But my parents are learning how to use Skype nowadays so will probably abandon that soon
Oversea: When I was in China and Taiwan I just go to a store and plug in a sim card I borrowed from a friend (or you can go to the post office and buy one for cheap and recharge minutes). Phone works fine.

It's your plan that doesn't allow you to call internationally. Just get a phonecard that lets you type a local # or 800# and then call the country you wish to afterwards.

I've used about all the major brands of cellies there are. In my opinion, for simplicity go with Nokia. Their phones dont have a lot of garbage applications and are very easy to use with quick load time. Samsungs are known to be dysfunctional about a year or two in. Motorola lags when the application loads but I've gotten used to it. Sony is overpriced for its quality, like every other product in its line (except for maybe TV).

I don't have the use for a BlackBerry/Treo/Q or whatever and I would love to hear people's opinions for those.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 AM

my life would be so much easier if cell phones were never invented.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM

I hate phones. I've had this Nokia one for about 2 years. It is cheap, has good clearness. Service is good from Fido. Works fine in the US (outside canada). No problems with international calls.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
very slightly off topic: virtually everyone i know has a cellphone, except for male math majors, of which almost none seem to have phones

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, so true. I think I was the only guy in my grad class that carried one.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 AM

I have Verizon. I am reminded of Churchill's quote: "Democracy is the worst form of government in the world. Except for all the others."
Old 06-13-2007, 11:40 AM

check out the lg 8700 it looks nice..

i have the blackberry pearl, a little annoying to type on but great for surfing the web and cingular's service has impressed me.

i also have verizon for personal use and am not as impressed with it's service as i am with cingular (and i use to hate on at&t and cingular)
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have the blackberry pearl, a little annoying to type on but great for surfing the web and cingular's service has impressed me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am obsessed with my Pearl. It's tiny, sleek, and I love the typing system. I do have pretty small hands, so I could see how a guy might not like the keys. I absolutely love the email function, the text is easy to read, and it has an app that consolidates all your messages into one folder. So any new texts, emails, Google Talks, etc go to the same place. Highly recommend this phone