Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
While I try not to engage in amateur psychology debates, Alex, you're pretty off base in saying that the statement "food issues often come with depression" is backwards. It's probably more accurate to say it's cyclical, but as to which comes first, it's almost a chicken/egg debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying it's backwards for someone of this child's age, not for adults.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and do you feel different if the story changes like this: the fake male gets her to take nude/provocative pictures of herself and send them, and he (they, whatever) then spread them to the internet/world at large?.

[/ QUOTE ]

they get arrested for spreading cp?

IMO, parents specifically targeted mentally unstable child to humiliate and torment and their actions directly led to her suicide. They should be held responsible.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BS. No, you can't control them 100%, but you can certainly keep them from getting to be fat. It's not even hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO. Call me when your kid is 13 and we'll talk. Padlock the fridge? Tape over their mouth? You have no concept of what is easy and what's difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just don't keep Twinkies and Coke in the house. It's amazingly difficult to get fat off of healthy food.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM

I wonder if her parents feel a little bad for letting her use myspace now.. imo they share as much blame as anyone else if their daughter was so fragile as to kill herself over a little serious business. They should have told her no [censored] myspace. Like she'd listen though.

Tragic story. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

AlexM-

Stop being a dumbass or levelling everyone. There is some correlation between depression and obesity but there's nothing showing a causative effect. There is some evidence that the correlation between the two isn't actually that strong, but that emotional problems of shame, dealing with parental separation and parental unemployment may be the "cause" of both conditions in children (i.e. these are confounding factors).
Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 PM

Few random legal thoughts about this deplorable event.

1) I'm not wild about this as a "wrongful death" case. I'm not sure how you get past forseeability.

2) Negligent infliction of emotional distress (to the parents) This is tough because I think Georgia follows the "impact" rule that requires some sort of physical contact ot the parents for them to get this type of damages.

3) Intentional infliction of emotional distress (to the parents) This is kind-of tough because it is not at all clear that any conduct was directed at the parents at all.

4) Negligent Infliction of emotional distress (towards Megan) I think you can prove what is necessary here, but damages are really dicey. I am not sure her damages survive her and go to the parents. (But this has the benefit of being an insurable risk-- so an insurance company might cave on this)

5) Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (Toward's Megan)-- same as above, but no insurance will pay this.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM

i can say with firm sincereity that if happened to my child they other families parents would not last a week
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM

In a trial the prosecution would not focus on whether Meaghan was suicidal and might have eventually killed herself anyway. That would be irrelevant.

The prosecution would focus on...Would Meaghan have had any reason to take her life on that particular day if not for the cummulative actions of the other parents? I agree with those who say that liability is key over resposibility. The final determination would be to what extent the parents actions contributed to Meaghan's suicide.

I find it hard to believe that a judge and/or jury would find that the other parents actions had no impact on Meaghan's decision to take her life. As noted, to what "extent" would be the tough legal question.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is some correlation between depression and obesity but there's nothing showing a causative effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding???

1. Child is fat.

2. Other kids make fun of child and hate child for being fat.

3. Depression.

This is so blindingly obvious that I don't understand how you can even question it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No joke: If somebody did that to my child, I'd kill them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I think. I would at least ruin their lives.

You people have a seriously [censored] up worldview if you let people get away with things like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

id much rather kill myself than the other parents if this happened to my kid

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why we see double murder suicides on the news