Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

[ QUOTE ]

Those discussing the Transhumanist movement? Do you really think you'll be able to live forever? If no, what's the difference between living 75 years and 250 years? Or 75 and 1000?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forever is a bit hyperbolic when it is used. Even if we were to overcome natural aging and disease there are plenty of events I can envision that would lead to death, so I prefer to use the term indefinite. I don't exactly "believe" I can live forever. I think we're on the cusp of huge breakthroughs in medical technology (historically speaking, could be 20 years, could be 200) that will eventually allow humans to live indefinitely, and that there is a significant non-zero probability that people in my generation have a shot at reaching that point. Do I think it's the most likely outcome? Not really. I do think I can drastically shift my probability of making it by adopting a lifestyle which maximizes health, longevity, and wealth accumulation.

As for the difference between 50 years and 150 years, there isn't a difference in my mind in terms of any sort of grand, objective meaning. I simply enjoy living and have a strong preference for life vice death, so if I can get 100 more years of course I'll take it.